Every new water and/or sewer customer shall obtain a utility certificate from the Supervisor of City Maintenance or the Water Cashier upon filing an application for water and/or sewer service and payment of the necessary deposits and/or tap-in fees. No utility company operating in the City shall begin providing gas, water, electricity or telephone service to a dwelling unit, apartment or home until a valid utility certificate is presented to the utility.
(Ord. 570. Passed 11-14-88.)