Skip to code content (skip section selection)
In all Special Flood Hazard Areas, the following provisions are required of all development activities:
(A) All new construction and substantial improvements shall meet the following criteria:
(1) Shall be designed (or modified) and adequately anchored to prevent flotation, collapse, and lateral movement of the structure.
(2) Shall be constructed with materials and utility equipment resistant to flood damage.
(3) Shall be constructed by methods and practices that minimize flood damages.
(B) Electrical, heating, ventilation, plumbing, air conditioning equipment, and other service facilities shall be designed and/or located so as to prevent water from entering or accumulating within the components during conditions of flooding to the regulatory flood protection elevation. These include, but are not limited to, HVAC equipment, water softener units, bath/kitchen fixtures, ductwork, electric/gas meter panels/boxes, utility/cable boxes, hot water heaters, and electric outlets/switches.
(C) All new and replacement water supply systems and sanitary sewage systems shall be designed to minimize or eliminate infiltration of floodwaters into the system.
(D) New and replacement sanitary sewerage systems shall be designed to minimize or eliminate infiltration of floodwaters into the systems and discharges from the systems into floodwaters.
(E) On-site waste disposal systems shall be located and constructed to avoid impairment to them or contamination from them during flooding.
(F) Any alteration, repair, reconstruction, or improvements to a structure shall meet the requirements of new construction as contained in this chapter.
(G) New solid waste disposal facilities and sites, hazardous waste management facilities, salvage yards, and chemical storage facilities shall not be permitted, except by variance as specified in § 153.044(J). A structure or tank for chemical or fuel storage incidental to an allowed use, or to the operation of a water treatment plant or wastewater treatment facility, may be located in a Special Flood Hazard Area only if the structure or tank is either elevated to at least the regulatory flood protection elevation, and certified in accordance with the provisions of § 153.041(C).
(H) All subdivision proposals and other development proposals shall meet the following criteria:
(1) Shall be consistent with the need to minimize flood damage.
(2) Shall have public utilities and facilities, such as sewer, gas, electrical, and water systems, located and constructed to minimize flood damage.
(3) Shall have adequate drainage provided to reduce exposure to flood hazards.
(4) Shall have received all necessary permits from those governmental agencies for which approval is required by federal or state law, including Section 404 of the Federal Water Pollution Control Act Amendments of 1972, 33 U.S.C. 1334.
(I) When a structure is partially located in a Special Flood Hazard Area, the entire structure shall meet the requirements for new construction and substantial improvements.
(J) When a structure is located in multiple flood hazard zones or in a flood hazard risk zone with multiple base flood elevations, the provisions for the more restrictive flood hazard risk zone and the highest base flood elevation shall apply.
(Ord. passed 10-16-2007; Am. Ord. passed 4-15-2008)