Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Pavement Construction:
1. Permits Required: It is unlawful to construct or lay any pavement on any public street, sidewalk, alley or other public way, or to repair the same without first having secured a permit therefor.
2. Application And Fee: Applications for such permits shall be made to the city clerk, and shall state the location of the intended pavement or repair, the extent thereof and the person who is to do the actual construction work. No such permits shall be issued except on order of the city council. The fee for all such permits shall be one dollar ($1.00). (1964 Code § 86)
1. Permits Required: It is unlawful to make any excavation in or tunnel under any public street, alley or sidewalk or other public place in the city, without having first obtained a permit therefor. The provisions of this section shall apply to all such excavations in the city not specifically provided for in other sections of this code.
2. Application: Application for such permit shall be made to the city clerk and shall specify the intended location and the purpose of the excavation.
3. Specifications: Any person making any such excavation shall refill the same properly and shall restore the surface to its condition before the excavation was made, as soon as possible. All such excavations, refills and resurfacing shall be made subject to the supervision and direction of the commissioner of streets and public improvements. (1964 Code § 103; amd. 2000 Code)
4. Bond: Permits for excavation in or tunneling under any public street, alley, sidewalk, or any other public place in the city shall not be issued before a guarantee has been remitted and approved by the city council that the completion of such excavation or tunneling shall be satisfactory under this code. Such guarantee shall take the form of one of the following:
a. A deposit with the city of a bond in a form approved by the city, in the amount of the estimated cost of the excavation or tunneling project, such estimated cost to be determined by the city or its authorized representative;
b. A deposit with the city of cash in the amount of the estimated cost of the excavation or tunneling project, such estimated cost to be determined by the city council or its authorized representatives. The excavator shall execute "an undertaking in lieu of a bond" in a form to be approved by the city and an "irrevocable commitment" from a financial institution in similar form approved by city.
Such bond may be withdrawn, or the cash amount released by the city, upon the completion of the project and return of city right of way to its condition prior to the commencement of the project, in a manner satisfactory to the city council or its representative. (Ord. 433, 9-10-2001)
1. Permits Required: It is unlawful to construct or maintain any opening or stairway in any public street or sidewalk or alley without first obtaining a permit from the city council.
2. Specifications: All such lawfully maintained openings shall be guarded by a suitable cover or railing approved by the commissioner of streets and public improvements. (1964 Code § 105; amd. 2000 Code)