Prior to performing work or placing facilities within a public right-of-way in the town, a user may be required to obtain a license and must obtain an encroachment permit issued by the Public Works Department. (Encroachment permits are also called work permits.) A user shall acquire an encroachment permit from the Public Works Department for the following activities:
   (A)   Excavation or restoration within the public way, including, but not limited to, construction of new portions of the public way;
   (B)   Cutting, moving, or alteration of any pavement, paver (for example, brick or stone), pipe, conduit, pole, meter, fire hydrant facility, or other equipment or structure owned by the town, or attachment to such objects;
   (C)   Installation or repair of facilities within the public way including but not limited to placing facilities on other facilities already located in the public way;
   (D)   Construction of private streets (including but not limited to paving and gutters), sidewalks, or alleys;
   (E)   Installation or repair of facilities for the conveyance of water, sewer, or stormwater;
   (F)   Installation or repair of facilities for electrical, gas, video, internet, telephone, cable, telecommunications, television, or other information or data transfer service to customers within the town;
   (G)   Work in the rights-of-way that affects traffic patterns, either permanently or temporarily;
   (H)   Make ready work. The town shall provide estimates for any make-ready work necessary to enable the town utility pole to support the requested collocation, including pole replacement if necessary, within 60 days after receipt of a complete application. Make-ready work, including any pole replacement, shall be completed within 60 days of written agreement on the cost of the work;
   (I)   Attachments to town property in NCDOT or other rights-of-way; and
   (J)   The Town Board may approve agreements for the use of town property that substitute for encroachment permits, such as the lease of space on a water tower.
(Ord. 17-12, passed 9-18-2017)