Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) All floodplains.
(1) Except as provided in divisions (A)(2) and (A)(3) below, the floodplain shall be shown on the subdivision or site plan for all on site and adjacent streams and bodies of water where the floodplain may extend onto the property.
(2) Floodplains within remainders or remaining portions are exempt provided no construction is proposed within the floodplain. If any drainage from the development passes through the remainder, remaining portion or tracts, a note shall be added to the plat.
(3) Non-FEMA floodplains determined to have a drainage area of less than one square mile are exempt, provided that no construction is proposed within ten feet vertically of the stream bank.
(B) FEMA floodplains.
(1) FEMA floodplains on or adjacent to the property shall be delineated using the greater of the FIS profile elevation or FIRMs for the county and the Towns of Hampstead, Manchester, Mount Airy, New Windsor, Sykesville, Union Bridge, and the Cities of Taneytown and Westminster, with an effective date of October 2, 2015, as well as amendments and revisions thereto; and
(2) In areas where delineations are contested, an ultimate study shall be performed and the greatest floodplain from the FIS, FIRM, or ultimate study shall be used until the FIS or FIRM, is officially revised by FEMA.
(C) Dam breach inundation areas.
(1) The dam breach inundation areas that may extend onto the property shall be shown on the subdivision or site plan.
(2) The dam breach inundation area shall be delineated downslope from existing or proposed dams until the dam breach floodwave enters an adequate ultimate floodplain, is captured by a closed storm drain system, or is reduced to a depth less than six inches. Any off site area potentially inundated by the breach of a dam, constructed as part of the development, shall be delineated. The applicant shall acquire protective easements for areas delineated outside of the property limits unless the dam was approved as a high hazard dam.
(2004 Code, § 114-8) (Ord. 04-04, passed 4-5-2004; Ord. 07-08, passed 5-3-2007; Ord. 2011-03, passed 5-17-2011; Ord. 2014-10, passed 10-30-2014; Ord. 2015-07, passed 9-3-2015)