Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Every applicant for a license to maintain, operate, or conduct a massage establishment shall file an application, under oath, with the Village of Carol Stream upon a form provided by the Village Clerk and pay a nonrefundable annual license fee, in the amount set forth in § 10-1-19 of this chapter. Copies of the massage establishment business license application shall be forwarded to the Director of Community Development. The Director of Community Development shall, within 30 days of receiving a complete application, cause an inspection of the premises proposed to be operated as a massage establishment and upon inspection, shall prepare a written report concerning compliance with the applicable regulations. The complete application, once accepted, shall also be referred to the Police Department by the Village Clerk for investigation. The Police Department will perform the required criminal record check. Background investigations shall require the submission of fingerprints for the owner/applicant(s) and the manager(s). The cost of the criminal record check and cost of fingerprint submissions shall be borne by the applicant.
(B) Each application shall contain the following information:
(1) The name under which the business will be conducted and a complete statement of the service or services to be provided.
(2) The location, mailing address and all telephone numbers where the business is to be conducted. If the premises is leased, the name and address of the owner of the premises, and if the premises is held in a trust, the names and addresses all owners of the beneficial interest in the trust. A copy of the lease for the premises shall also be provided.
(3) Federal employer identification number (FEIN) and state of Illinois business tax number (IBT).
(4) The name and residence address of each applicant (all provisions which refer to applicant include an applicant which may be a corporation, limited liability company or partnership).
(a) If applicant is a corporation or limited liability company, the term applicant includes each of the officers, directors, member or manager of the corporation or company and of each stockholder owning more than 5% of the stock of the corporation or company.
(b) If applicant is a partnership, the term applicant includes each of the partners including limited partners.
(c) If the applicant is a corporation, limited liability company or partnership, the business address of the partnership, if different from the address of the massage establishment shall be provided.
(5) The two previous addresses immediately prior to the present address of each applicant.
(6) Proof that each applicant is at least 18 years of age.
(7) Copy of a government issued photo identification, such as a driver's license or State of Illinois identification for each applicant.
(8) One portrait photograph of each applicant at least two inches by two inches and a complete set of applicant's fingerprints shall be taken by the Chief of Police or his or her agent. If the applicant is a partnership, limited liability company, or corporation, the Chief of Police shall have the right to require fingerprints of any and all officers, shareholders, directors, partners, members, managers or agents of the entity along with the fee for each.
(9) Business, occupation, or employment of each applicant for the three years immediately preceding the date of application.
(10) The massage or similar business license history of the applicant; whether such person, in previously operating in this or another municipality, county or state, has had a business license revoked or suspended, the reason for the revocation or suspension, and the business activity or occupation subsequent to such action of suspension or revocation.
(11) All criminal convictions other than misdemeanor traffic violations, including the dates of convictions, nature of the crimes and place convicted for each applicant.
(12) The name and residence address of each person who shall be employed as massage therapists, managers, assistant managers or any other persons principally in charge of the operation of the business, whether such persons are employees or independent contractors. Each application shall be accompanied by a copy of the state license issued by the State of Illinois authorizing the practice of massage therapy under the Massage Licensing Act (225 ILCS 57/1 et seq.). Each application shall also be accompanied by a copy of a photo identification card such as an Illinois driver's license or Illinois identification card for each massage therapist, manager, assistant manager or any other person principally in charge of the operation of the business. The business license holder shall provide the information required herein for every new employee or independent contractor employed, to the Village Clerk, at least ten business days prior to the person beginning work at the premises.
(13) The name and address of any other business owned or operated by any person whose name is required to be given as an applicant as provided in division (B)(4) above.
(14) A description of any other business to be operated on the same premises or on adjoining premises owned or controlled by the applicant.
(15) Authorization of the village, its agents and employees to seek information and conduct an investigation into the truth of the statements set forth in the application and the qualifications of the applicant for the permit. Authorization for the village or its agents to inspect the premises.
(16) Such other identification and information necessary to discover the truth of the matters required to be set forth in the application.
(C) Upon the completion of the above provided form and the furnishing of all foregoing information, the Village Clerk shall accept the completed application for the necessary investigations. The holder of a massage establishment license shall notify the Village Clerk of each change in any of the data required to be furnished by this section within ten days after such change occurs.
(Ord. 2018-05-19, passed 5-7-2018)