Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Establishment. The official title of this Commission shall be the “Carlisle Planning Commission” and shall be known as the “Commission”. The Planning Commission shall have such powers as are conferred by the general laws of Ohio, the Charter of Carlisle, or by ordinance of Council.
(b) Membership. The Commission shall consist of seven members who shall be residents of Carlisle. Members shall serve without compensation and shall be appointed by Council. Any vacancy in membership shall be filled for the unexpired term only.
(c) Quorum. A majority of the members shall be a quorum for the transaction of business, and no recommendation or approval shall be made without the consent of a majority of the Commission.
(d) Meetings. The Planning Commission shall meet monthly. Prior to the end of each year, the members shall by motion determine the dates of its regular meetings for the succeeding year. The chairperson may cancel a meeting if there is no pending business to be conducted. Special meetings may be called by the chairman or by two members upon written request to the Planning and Zoning Administrator or by a vote of the Commission at its regular meeting. All meetings shall be open to the public. The Commission shall establish its own rules and keep a journal of its proceedings, which shall be a public record. The officers of the Commission shall consist of a chairman and vice-chairman. The Commission, at its first regular meeting in January, shall elect the officers for a one-year term.
(e) Rules. If a Commission member has a conflict of interest in an issue or owns a property within 300 feet of the outer limits of the area being disturbed as a result of the application under consideration by the Planning Commission, that member shall sit in the audience while the issue is being heard, considered and voted upon.
(f) Powers and Duties.
(1) The Planning Commission shall, after thorough investigation, prepare, maintain, amend and submit to Council comprehensive plans for the future physical development and improvement of Carlisle, based primarily upon utility, convenience and beauty, physical needs, density and the social welfare and physical well being of the people.
(2) The Commission, when requested by Council, or the administration, shall consider, investigate and report upon any special matter or question coming within the scope of its work.
(3) Prepare and recommend to Council amendments to the Subdivision Regulations.
(4) Review and make recommendations on all matters of community growth and development.
(5) Hear and decide on all matters referred to and upon which it is required to pass by this Zoning Code.
(6) Review and act on all development plans required by this Zoning Code.
(7) Carry out Determination of Similar Uses per the standards in Chapter 1246.
(8) To review and act on sign applications, as required by Chapter 1286, according to the procedures, standards and criteria stated in this Zoning Code.
(9) To review and decide upon conditional use certificates according to the procedures, standards and criteria stated in this Zoning Code.
(10) To review all proposed amendments to this Zoning Code, including amendment to the Zoning Map, and make recommendations to the Carlisle Council as provided in this Zoning Code.
(11) To investigate and propose on its own initiative such amendments to the Zoning Code including the Zoning Map, as it may deem consistent with the purposes of this Zoning Code and which further the public health, safety, and general welfare of Carlisle.
(12) To review and act on proposed subdivision plats according to the procedures, standards and criteria stated in this Zoning Code.
(g) Intra-governmental Cooperation. The departments, divisions and agencies Carlisle shall cooperate with and assist the Planning Commission in implementing the purposes for which it is formed.
(Ord. 8-13. Passed 5-14-13.)