Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Uses permitted:
(1) Any use permitted and as regulated in General Business Districts (B-2) except as hereinafter modified;
(2) Animal hospitals, veterinary clinics and kennels provided that any structure or area used for those purposes, including pens and exercise runways, shall be at least 30 feet from any residential district and that permanent evergreen plant material or a solid wall or fence shall be provided along any property line adjoining a residential district to screen the uses from view;
(3) Commercial greenhouses and plant nurseries, including offices and sales yards, provided that no building for any like use shall have a heating plant or a ventilating flue or other opening except stationary windows within 30 feet of any residential district;
(4) Ice storage facilities of three tons or less capacity;
(5) Drive-in eating and drinking establishments provided the requirements of division (A)(2) above are met;
(6) Outdoor and indoor display and sales of farm implements, contractors' equipment and house trailers;
(7) Poultry hatcheries when conducted within a completely enclosed building provided that no building for the use shall have a heating plant or a ventilating flue or other opening except stationary windows within 30 feet of any residential district;
(8) Trailer parks when approved by the Board of Zoning Adjustment and provided that the lot to be used for that purpose is not less than one acre in area, that not less than 3,000 square feet of area is provided for each trailer space, that no trailer is located closer than ten feet to any residential district, that at least one off-street parking space is provided for each trailer space and that no trailer is parked closer than 12 feet to another trailer. In addition, the trailer park must be designed, used and maintained in conformity with the provisions and regulations of any other state or local laws applying to trailer parks, with the regulations of state and local health authorities and with any special conditions stated in the Board of Zoning Adjustment's approval;
(9) Any necessary use or building customarily incidental to the above permitted uses provided all general and special requirements for principal buildings are met; and
(10) Any other uses which are determined by the Board of Zoning Adjustment to be of the same general character as the above permitted uses, which will not be detrimental to the district in which they are located and which will not be objectionable by reason of odors, dust, smoke, cinders, gas, fumes, noise, vibrations and refuse matter.
(11) Added commercial uses:
(a) Retail package liquor sales (but not permitted in showcase area);
(b) Retail malt beverage sales (but not permitted in showcase area);
(c) Tavern (but not permitted in showcase area). Note: potential application of special compatibility standards as set forth herein if adjoining certain property in residential zone classification;
(d) Table restaurant SA (but not permitted in showcase area); and
(e) Small winery or microbrewery (upon CUP approval per zoning ordinance, except not allowable in showcase area).
(B) Uses prohibited:
(1) Any use prohibited in a General Business District (B-2) unless it is expressly permitted in division (A) above; and
(2) Similar uses which in the opinion of the Board of Zoning Adjustment would be detrimental to the development of the Highway Business District as a retail business and service area.
(C) Required yard areas:
(1) Front yard depth: all buildings and structures shall have a front yard depth of at least 25 feet;
(2) Rear yard depth: all buildings and structures shall have a rear yard depth of at least 20 feet; and
(3) Side yard width: all buildings and structures on lots adjacent to residential districts shall be located so as to conform on the adjacent side with the side yard requirements of the residential district.
(D) Height: no building or structure shall exceed four stories or 50 feet in height.
(F) Obstruction of streets and alleys: facilities and installations utilized in the operation of a business establishment shall be set back from any street or alley so that any service rendered by the business establishment will not obstruct the street or alley.
(G) For parcels on which liquor and/or malt beverage sales or production is otherwise authorized:
(1) Minimum lot frontage, assembly and commercial - 100 feet. Exception: corner lots, minimum frontage - 150 feet each street frontage.
(2) Minimum front yard setback, assembly and commercial - 30 feet.
(3) Minimum side yard setback, assembly and commercial - 20 feet.
(4) Minimum rear yard setback, assembly and commercial - 20 feet.
(2000 Code, App. B, § 64) (Am. Ord. 16-09, passed 11-21-2016)