Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) A sign which is in existence as of the effective date of this chapter, or on a later date when the property was annexed into the city, and that was constructed in accordance with the ordinance and applicable laws in effect as of the date of its construction, but because of its size, height, location, design or construction is not in conformance with the requirements of this chapter, is hereby deemed to be nonconforming.
(B) These signs shall be allowed to remain in place and be maintained.
(C) These signs are subject to the following provisions.
(1) Nonconforming signs or their commercial messages may not be altered, expanded, enlarged or extended. Nonconforming signs may be maintained so as to continue its useful life as a sign.
(2) Any nonconforming sign destroyed or damaged by fire or other casualty loss shall not be restored or rebuilt.
(3) A sign, accessory to a nonconforming use, may be erected in the city in accordance with the sign regulation for the subject zoning district.
(4) Any sign which for a period of 90 days or more that no longer advertises a bona fide business conducted or product sold shall, be removed by the owner of the property on which the sign is located, within 14 days of receipt of the written notice by the Zoning Administrator, as provided in § 152.08 and its divisions, the provisions of which shall apply to the removal of the signs, the sign owners and property owners in question.
(5) Any sign existing in the city on the effective date of this chapter shall be registered by application and must be submitted to the Zoning Administrator’s office within six months of the effective date of this chapter. For any sign on property annexed into the city, the owner shall submit an application within six months of the effective date of the annexation. Applications submitted for existing signs within six months of the effective date of this chapter shall be exempt from the initial registration fees. Fees will be set by the City Council, for registration after the stated date.
(Ord. 167, passed - -2003) Penalty, see § 152.99