The following property development standards shall apply to all land and buildings in the R-1 (5,000) Zone:
A. Lot area.
1. Each lot shall have a minimum area of five thousand (5,000) square feet.
2. In a Residential Planned Unit Development, the size of the lots may vary, provided the overall density provisions of the zone are maintained within the project and all other requirements of this section are complied with.
B. Lot dimensions.
a. Interior lots shall have a minimum width of fifty (50) feet.
b. Corner lots shall have a minimum width of sixty (60) feet.
c. Reversed corner lots shall have a minimum width of sixty-five (65) feet.
2. Depth. Each lot shall have a minimum depth of ninety (90) feet.
3. In a Residential Planned Unit Development the lot width and depth may be modified to conform to the buildings and structures proposed, provided said dimensions permit conformity with all other provisions of this section.
C. Dwelling unit density. Maximum net dwelling unit density shall not exceed the required minimum net area per dwelling unit of five thousand (5,000) square feet.
D. Building height.
1. Buildings and structures shall have a height no greater than thirty-five (35) feet.
2. Structures permitted above height limit. Roof structures for the housing of elevators, stairways, tanks, ventilating fans or similar equipment required to operate and maintain the buildings and fire or parapet walls, sky-lights, flagpoles, chimneys, domestic radio and television masts, or similar structures may be erected above the maximum height permitted in each zone. No structure shall be allowed for purposes of providing additional floor space.
1. Front yard.
a. A minimum fifteen (15) foot front yard shall be required.
b. The entire front yard shall be maintained as required in § 20.208.040.E.1.b. and c. of this title.
c. Where the entire block frontage is designed and developed as a neighborhood unit, the front yard setback may vary, provided, however, the average minimum front yard shall be not less than fifteen (15) feet and no front yard shall be reduced to less than ten (10) feet.
d. Notwithstanding other requirements herein, all garages with vehicle entrances facing a street shall set back not less than twenty-three (23) feet from the front property line. A carport with a vehicle entrance facing a street and not screened from any point on the public right-of-way line which abuts the property upon which said carport is located shall be prohibited.
e. Front yards on the turn-around end of a cul-de-sac street may be reduced to not less than ten (10) feet.
2. Side yards.
a. Interior lots shall have a side yard on each side of not less than five (5) feet. The side yard may be reduced to zero (0) feet on one (1) side of the interior lot lines. When a zero (0) foot side yard is utilized, the following shall apply:
(1) The total width of the two (2) side yards shall not be less than ten (10) feet.
(2) No eave shall project over a lot line.
(3) The minimum distance between eaves shall not be less than seven (7) feet.
(4) The minimum distance between walls of buildings shall be not less than ten (10) feet.
(5) The maximum eave projection shall not be more than three (3) feet.
(6) A masonry or concrete block wall seven (7) feet in height shall be erected and maintained on the rear and side property lines, except within the required front yard.
(7) An additional two and one-half (2½) feet shall be required for side yards adjacent to a main building twenty (20) feet or more in height.
b. A side yard on the street side of a corner lot, may have a minimum street side yard of ten (10) feet and a zero (0) foot side yard on the interior lot line.
c. A side yard on the street side of a reversed corner lot may have a minimum side yard of fifteen (15) and a zero (0) foot side yard on the interior lot line.
d. An opening of a minimum width of not less than four (4) feet shall be provided for access to the rear yard on one of the side yards of a lot. The opening may be provided with a gate but shall not be fenced or walled.
e. Any storage of materials including but not limited to, trash and trash receptacles, newspapers, building and automotive materials, landscape maintenance tools, and debris, within side yards, shall be substantially screened with a combination of open or solid fencing, and landscaping, or enclosed within an openwork structure such as wood or metal lattice, so as to substantially minimize views as seen from adjacent private and public streets, and public rights-of-way (excluding alleys).
f. All side yard setbacks shall be measured from the property line to the building wall.
3. Rear yard.
a. Each lot shall have a rear yard of not less than ten (10) feet.
b. Any storage of materials including but not limited to, trash and trash receptacles, newspapers, building and automotive materials, landscape maintenance tools, debris, inoperable motor vehicles, camper shells not mounted on motor vehicles, or boats and trailers, within rear yards, shall be substantially screened with a combination of open or solid fencing, and landscaping, or enclosed within an openwork structure such as wood or metal lattice, so as to substantially minimize views as seen from adjacent private and public streets, and public right-of-way (excluding alleys). Stored materials shall not cover an area greater than fifty percent (50%) of the total square footage of the rear yard.
4. Location of accessory buildings in required yards.
a. Detached accessory buildings may be located in the required side or rear yard areas provided that said structures are not less than five (5) feet from any common property line to the wall of said structure; and provided an eave shall not project into a required side yard more than eighteen (18) inches nor into the required rear yard more than three (3) feet.
b. Where access to a garage or carport is provided from an alley, the garage or carport shall be located not less than twenty-five (25) feet from the opposite property line or five (5) feet from the alley right-of-way line, whichever is more restrictive. If the vehicle entrance faces the alley, a garage only shall be permitted and the vehicle entrance door shall not project beyond the property line when open or being opened. A carport with a vehicle entrance facing an alley and not screened from public view from any point on the public right-of-way line which abuts the property upon which said carport is located shall be prohibited.
5. Projections into required yards. Except as provided herein, the provisions of § 20.08.020 of this title shall apply.
6. Garage and carport side street setback. Notwithstanding other requirements herein, a garage with a vehicle entrance facing a side street shall set back not less than twenty-three (23) feet from the street side property line. A carport with a vehicle entrance facing a side street and not screened from public view from any point on the public right-of-way line which abuts the property upon which said carport is located shall be prohibited.
F. Outdoor living space. Each lot shall contain outdoor living space of not less than five hundred (500) square feet.
G. Walls, fences and landscaping.
1. Fences and walls and solid hedges shall not exceed seven (7) feet above the finished grade immediately abutting the fence with the following exceptions:
a. Solid fences, walls and hedges in a required front yard shall not exceed a height of thirty (30) inches.
b. Open work fences (not less than ninety percent (90%) open) in a required front yard shall not exceed a height of four and one-half (4½) feet.
c. Property owners are responsible for the continual maintenance of all landscaped areas on-site, as well as contiguous planted areas within the public right-of-way. All landscaped areas shall be kept free from weeds and debris, and maintained.
d. The provisions of § 20.08.060 of this title pertaining to corner cut-off areas shall apply.
e. Fences and walls shall be located a minimum of six (6) inches from any property line which is adjacent to a public right-of-way.
H. Distance between buildings. The distance between external walls of detached buildings shall not be less than ten (10) feet, if there are either doors or windows facing on said space between walls. Where no openings face said space, it may be reduced to six (6) feet.
I. Minimum dwelling area. Dwelling units shall have a minimum gross floor area of not less than eight hundred (800) square feet.
J. Coverage by structures. No more than fifty percent (50%) of the lot area shall be covered by buildings or structures.
K. Off-street parking. The provisions of § 20.08.040 of this title shall apply.
1. All lots shall have a vehicular access from a dedicated street or alley.
2. Driveway access to garages or carports shall be of permanent construction material, concrete or asphalt or other material approved by the City Engineer.
M. Signs. The provisions of Chapter 20.28 of this title shall apply.
(Ord. 425, passed 10-14-68; Am. Ord. 873, passed 9-5-89; Am. Ord. 965, passed 4-4-95)