A. General conditions.
1. Yards shall be measured perpendicular to the property line or from a future street or highway line as shown on the General Plan or established as a special setback provision of this title.
2. Yard provisions shall apply to both main and accessory structures unless otherwise specified.
3. Required yard or other open space around an existing building or any building hereafter erected shall not be considered as providing a yard or other open space for any other building on an adjoining lot or building site.
B. Permitted projections into required yards.
1. Landscape architectural features, including uncovered patios, open air grills, fountains, sculptures, and similar features, and guard railings for safety protection around depressed ramps may be located in any front or side yard, provided the height does not exceed thirty (30) inches and within any rear yard, provided the height does not exceed six (6) feet. Swimming pool equipment or similar mechanical equipment may be located within the rear yard area, provided it is a minimum of five (5) feet from any property line and is screened from view of adjoining properties. The combined coverage by the main building, accessory buildings and accessory features and equipment shall not exceed twenty-five percent (25%) of the required rear yard area.
2. Fire escapes may extend or project into any yard not more than four (4) feet, provided, however, that the yard shall not be reduced to less than three (3) feet in clear width.
3. Cornices, canopies, eaves, belt courses, sills, and other similar architectural features may extend or project into a required front yard not more than four (4) feet, and may extend into a required side yard on the street side of a corner or reversed corner lot or rear yard not more than six (6) inches for each foot of required yard width.
4. Uncovered porches, platforms, or landing places which do not extend above the level of the first floor of the building may extend into any front yard a distance of not more than twenty percent (20%) of such front yard, and in no instance more than five (5) feet and may extend into rear yard of side yard on street side of a corner or reversed corner lot not more than four (4) feet. An openwork railing may be installed or constructed on any such porch, platform or landing place provided it does not exceed thirty (30) inches in height.
5. Open, unenclosed stairways or balconies not covered by a roof or canopy may extend or project into a required front yard not more than four (4) feet.
6. No projections shall be permitted into any required side yard except that a fireplace may extend not more than six (6) inches and eaves may extend not more than eighteen (18) inches into said required yard.
7. Accessory recreational uses, such as outdoor tennis courts shall be permitted within the rear yard area, subject to the provisions of § 20.408.040 of this title and the following performance standards:
a. Fencing shall be open work (not less than ninety percent (90%) open) and shall be a maximum of twelve (12) feet in height. Translucent backdrops or windscreens may be attached to such fencing.
b. Lighting shall be mounted a maximum of ten (10) feet above court level and designed so as to confine direct rays to the court. Lighting shall be operative only between the hours of dusk to 11:00 p.m.
c. Said courts shall not be located closer than twenty-five (25) feet to any existing dwelling on adjacent property.
C. Yard requirements - special conditions. Churches, schools, institutions or other similar uses when permitted in any R Zone shall be located not less than twenty (20) feet from all common property lines not less than fifty (50) feet from the front property line and not less than twenty-five (25) feet from any side property line on a street.
(Ord. 425, passed 10-14-68; Am. Ord. 616, passed 2-1-77; Am. Ord. 965, passed 4-4-95)