Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. The commercial district is established to promote a range of commercial uses to serve the needs of the immediate area, surrounding rural communities and visitors without adversely affecting adjacent residential neighborhoods. The commercial district is also intended to provide opportunities for a variety of affordable housing types that are within walking distance of commercial services. Intensive large scale commercial development is not appropriate due to the limited density of surrounding unincorporated areas. Access to primary transportation routes and a system of hard surfaced roads are expected and consideration is given to the potential public transportation access. These purposes are accomplished by:
1. Providing for a wide range of small to medium scaled retail, professional, governmental and personal service uses.
2. Allowing for mixed use buildings (housing over office or retail) and a range of housing types, including cottage housing, townhouses, apartments and mobile home parks where sufficient services are provided.
3. Allowing for light industrial uses where activities are conducted primarily indoors and impacts to adjacent uses can be mitigated.
4. Excluding commercial uses with extensive outdoor storage.
5. Excluding large scale commercial uses that would be more effectively located in incorporated cities.
6. Applying simple design standards that enhance pedestrian access and improve the character of the area.
B. Use of this zone is appropriate in areas designated as neighborhood commercial, urban growth area or transition by the comprehensive plan and community plans and that are served at the time of development by adequate sewage disposal services, water supply, roads and other needed public facilities and services. Expansion of existing commercial districts or the creation of new commercial districts may be considered only if the expansion will not negatively impact the safety and function of a state highway or other roadway. (Ord. 501, 11-18-2008)