Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Prohibited Animals: It shall be unlawful for any person to harbor, keep, maintain, or possess within the City any of the following animals:
a. All members of the family Felidae (cat family), except domesticated cats.
b. All members of the family Canidae (dog family), except domesticated dogs.
c. All nonhuman primates.
d. All members of the order Insectivora, except hedgehogs.
e. All rodents, except domestic rats, mice, guinea pigs, hamsters, gerbils and squirrels not otherwise restricted by Federal law.
f. All marine mammals, including, but not limited to, whales, dolphins and seals.
g. All animals from the order Xenarthra, including giant anteaters, sloths, tamanduas, armadillos and pangolins.
h. All members of the family Procyonidae.
i. All members of the family Mustelidae, except domestic ferrets (Mustela putorious).
j. All civets, meerkats and members of the family Vivirridae.
k. All marsupials, except Virginia opossum, sugar gliders and bettongs.
l. All members of the family Hyaenidae, including, but not limited to, hyenas and aardwolves.
m. All members of the order Tubulidentata (aardvarks).
n. All members of the order Hyracoidae (hyraxes).
o. All hoofed animals belonging to the orders Perrisodactyla and Artiodactyla, except domesticated farm or pack animals.
p. All members of the family Elephantidae (elephants).
q. All members of the family Chiroptera (bats).
r. All members of the family Ursidae (bears).
c. Penguins of any kind.
d. Cranes of any kind.
g. Herons and their relatives from the order Ciconiiformes.
h. All birds of prey from the order Falconiformes.
i. All owls from the order Strigiformes.
a. Sea turtles of any kind.
b. Aldabra or Galapagos tortoises.
c. Komodo dragons.
d. All members of the order Crocodilia.
e. Wild caught Gila monsters and beaded lizards.
f. Elapids (family of venomous snakes) except North American species, such as coral snakes, that are housed under State guidelines.
g. Viperids (family of venomous snakes) except North American species, including, but not limited to, rattlesnakes, cotton mouths and copperheads that are housed under State guidelines.
4. Insects: All insects listed as agricultural pests by the USDA and Idaho Department of Agriculture.
B. Threatened Or Endangered Animals: All animals listed as threatened or endangered on either a State or Federal level and all illegally imported animals shall be prohibited in the same manner as those listed in subsection A of this section.
C. Exceptions: The provisions of this section shall not apply to the keeping of prohibited animals by any bona fide, licensed zoo accredited by the Association of Zoos and Aquariums, any bona fide licensed veterinary hospital for treatment of illness or injury by licensed veterinarians, bona fide educational or medical institutions accredited by the Idaho Department of Education, bona fide rehabilitators permitted by the Idaho Fish and Game Department, and the keeping of raptors by individuals permitted by the Idaho Fish and Game Department.
D. The owner or custodian of any prohibited animal kept pursuant to an exception, shall at all times:
1. Keep the animal in a cage, enclosure or other confinement that is designed, constructed, and maintained to preclude the animal's escape. The cage, enclosure, or confinement shall be of sufficient size to allow the animal reasonable freedom of movement.
2. Keep the animal in a manner that will not threaten or annoy any person of normal sensitivity.
3. Employ adequate safeguards to prevent unauthorized access to the animal and to prevent the escape of the animal.
4. Immediately notify the Animal Shelter if the animal escapes and make every reasonable effort to recapture an animal that escapes.
5. Allow the authorized officer to inspect the animal and the property to determine whether the owner or custodian is complying with this section.
6. Allow the Animal Shelter to inspect any permit an agency of the Federal or State government has issued to the owner or custodian that regulates the animal.
7. Every person keeping a prohibited animal under this section must house the animal and care for it in a manner that is humane and in accordance with the particular requirements of the species, to include compliance with all State and Federal laws that apply to the welfare of animals.
8. A person whose property harbors wildlife or is enhanced with any structure to provide shelter or habitat to native wildlife such as native birds, bats, reptiles, amphibians, fish, or mammals which through their own volition enter or reside on any such property without being confined artificially by the property owner, is not considered to harbor or keep prohibited animals.
E. Prohibited animals may be impounded by the Animal Shelter and the owner liable for related fees and costs as set forth in this chapter. (Ord. 20-21, 5-11-2021)