(a) Individual applicants. The City Council may withhold its concurrence of an original or renewal state currency exchange license pursuant to M.S. Chapter 53A, as it may be amended from time to time, if the applicant:
(1) Is not of good moral character and repute;
(2) Has had a conviction of any crime that is directly related to the type of license sought, as defined by M.S. § 364.03, subd. 2, as it may be amended from time to time, and is not able to show competent evidence of sufficient rehabilitation and present fitness to perform the duties and responsibilities of the licensed occupation, as defined by M.S. § 364.03, subd. 3, as it may be amended from time to time;
(3) Is not 18 years of age or older on the date the license application is submitted to the ;
(4) Is not the real party in interest in the business to be licensed;
(5) Has falsified any information or omitted material information on the license application form required by M.S. Chapter 53A, as it may be amended from time to time, or this Division C of the city code; or
(6) Has violated any provision of M.S. Chapter 53A, as it may be amended from time to time, or this Division C of the city code within three years prior to the application date.
(b) Partnerships and corporate applicants. If the applicant is a partnership, local concurrence may be withheld if any general partner cannot meet all of the requirements of subsections (a)(1) through (a)(6) above. If the applicant is a corporation, local concurrence may be withheld if any corporate officer cannot meet all of the requirements of subsections (a)(1) through (a)(6) above.
(c) Locations ineligible for local concurrence. Local concurrence may be withheld if the is located on any property on which taxes, assessments or other financial claims of the state, county, school district or city are past due, delinquent or unpaid. In the event suit has been commenced under M.S. §§ 278.01 through 278.13, as it may be amended from time to time, questioning the amount or validity of taxes, the City Council may on application waive strict compliance with this provision; no waiver may be granted, however, for taxes or any portion thereof, which remain unpaid for a period exceeding one year after becoming due.
(d) Distance limitations. Local concurrence may be withheld if the is located within one-half mile of another existing licensed . The distance limitation imposed by this restriction shall be measured by a straight line from the closest points of the closest structures involved.
(e) Improper zoning. Local concurrence may be withheld if the place of business to be operated under the license is located in a zoning use district in Chapter 19 or 21 of this code in which a is a prohibited use. Local concurrence may also be withheld if a conditional use permit is required and not obtained pursuant to Chapter 19 or 21 of this code.
(f) Definition. For the purposes of this section, APPLICANT shall include an employee who exercises management or policy control over the company; a director; an officer; a limited or general partner; a manager; or a shareholder holding more than 10% of the outstanding stock of the corporation.
(1958 Code, § 131.03) (Ord. 154, passed 11-18-1958; Ord. 74-99, passed 11-18-1974, renumbered to § 131.02; Ord. 87-77, passed 10-16-1987; recodified by Ord. 95-13, passed 8-7-1995; Ord. 2007-17, passed 4-9-2007; Ord. 2010-1, passed 1-4-2010)