(a) Roof-mounted mechanical equipment installed on buildings constructed within the city must be screened to block all parts of the roof-mounted equipment from visibility from adjacent public or private streets or sidewalks.
(b) Screening required by this section must comply with the following:
(1) The screening must be permanently attached to the building and must be capable of withstanding all load requirements as outlined in the State of Minnesota Building Code.
(2) The screening must be constructed with materials that are architecturally compatible with the building. The use of wood, in whole or in part, as a screening material is not considered architecturally compatible unless the building is constructed with a wood exterior.
(3) A parapet wall that meets the screening requirements of this section qualifies as approved screening.
(4) In no case is screening required to be higher above the roof level than the equipment it screens.
(5) All roof-top screening must be kept in good repair.
(6) Existing screening which requires major alteration or replacement must meet the requirements of this section.
(c) Exceptions. The requirements of this section are exempt for the following:
(1) Solar panels, antennas, and chimneys.
(Ord. 2019-2, passed 1-7-2019)