(a) Permit required. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to move any building or structure into the city from any place outside of the said city or to move wholly within said city from one place to another any building or structure without first making application to the Building and Inspection Division and securing a permit as hereinafter provided. Upon making application for a permit pursuant to the terms of this chapter, there shall be paid to the City Treasurer a fee as set forth in City Code Appendix A. No such permit shall be issued unless such building or structure conforms to the specifications set forth in this code.
(b) Issuance of permit. Whenever application for such permit is made to the issuing authority and the required fee is paid and it shall appear to the issuing authority that the requirements of this Article I will be complied with, the issuing authority shall issue a permit authorizing such person, firm or corporation to move such building or structure into or within the city.
(c) Right of appeal. If the issuing authority should refuse a permit because of nonconformity in conjunction with the Zoning Code, the applicant has the right to appeal the issuing authority’s decision to the City Council. Forms for such an appeal are available in the Community Development Department offices.
(d) Permit to use highways.
(1) Application. A person desiring to move, or cause to be moved, any building or structure upon, across or along any public road, street or highway in the city which will in any manner obstruct traffic shall apply to the Director of Public Works for a permit. Such permit shall be subject to the approval of the Chief of Police. The application shall show the dimensions and weight of the structure to be moved, method of movement and equipment to be used, route to be followed, time when movement within the city shall commence, expected duration and speed of movement and the places of origin and destination.
(2) Time for application. Application for a permit shall be made at least three days prior to the moving.
(3) Conditions. The permit shall be subject to such reasonable conditions as shall be imposed concerning route, time of day and safety precautions.
(4) Fee. The fee to be charged for such permit shall be as set forth in City Code Appendix A for moving a building or structure upon any road, street or highway except state highways.
(5) Violations. It shall be unlawful to violate the provisions of this section or of any condition imposed upon a permit.
(6) Appeal. The applicant may appeal the action of the Director of Public Works or the Chief of Police to the City Council by giving written notice thereof within 14 days after complaint of the action.
(1958 Code, § 35.24) (Ord. 71-19, passed 3-15-1971, renumbered to § 35.13; Ord. 72-61, passed 11-20-1972, renumbered to § 35.04; Ord. 90-53, passed 12-10-1990; Ord. 2007-22, passed 6-25-2007; Ord. 2022-40, passed 8-29-2022)