Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Definition: The term "motor vehicle", as used in this section, is defined as every device in, upon, or by which any person or property is or may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except devices moved by human power, devices used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks and "snowmobiles" as defined in the snowmobile registration safety act.
B. Sidewalks: No person shall drive any motor vehicle upon a sidewalk or sidewalk area, except upon a permanent or duly authorized temporary driveway.
C. Certain Engine Powered Vehicles:
1. It shall be unlawful for any person to use, operate or be in control of a motorized skateboard, a snow vehicle, go-ped, go-cart, minibike, motorized scooter or any similar engine powered vehicle or device upon any public or private street, highway, parking lot, sidewalk, school ground, bike path or any other public property within the village except as may be authorized by the village in areas other than the streets, highways, or sidewalks. For the purpose of this subsection, a "motorized skateboard, scooter or go-ped" is defined as a board or other horizontal surface having wheels which are operated by some type of motor, and the board is generally designed to hold one person.
2. No person shall permit the operation of such a motor vehicle to be operated upon or within any of the prohibited areas.
3. Motor vehicles, as defined in subsection C1 of this section, are authorized to be operated upon any street or highway within the village, provided the vehicle can be and is licensed by the state of Illinois.
4. This subsection does not apply to any vehicle moved exclusively by human power nor to any motorized wheelchair.
5. The operation of such a motor vehicle may be permitted on private property with the permission of the property owner.
D. Parks, School Grounds, Public Areas: It shall be unlawful for any person to operate any motor vehicle or any motor driven device, in addition to those prohibited by subsection C of this section, in or upon any park, parkway, school grounds, or other public area not designed or improved or intended to accommodate the regular travel of motor vehicles, except:
1. In cases of emergency, if the presence of the motor vehicle on the roadway would constitute a hazard, or when directed by a police officer; or
2. Motor vehicles operated by the village or person under a contract with the village while in the normal performance of his work.
E. Toy Vehicles: It shall be unlawful for any person upon skates, a coaster, sled or other toy vehicle to go upon any roadway other than at a crosswalk. (Ord. 2002-24, 6-24-2002)
F. Responsibility Of Parent Or Guardian: The parent or legal guardian of any person under the age of sixteen (16) years who operates any motor vehicle in violation of subsection B, C, D or E of this section shall be liable for any and all damages resulting from that individual's operation of a "motor vehicle", as that term is defined in subsection A of this section, in violation of this section. Additionally, the parent or legal guardian of any person under the age of sixteen (16) years who operates any motor vehicle in violation of subsection B, C, D or E of this section shall be liable for any fine assessed for violation of this section.
G. Penalty: A violation of this section shall subject the violator or the parent or legal guardian of a violator less than sixteen (16) years of age to the penalty provided in section 1-4-1 of this code for each and every violation of this section. (Ord. 2002-24, 6-24-2002; amd. 2012 Code)
H. Confiscation Of Vehicles: Any vehicle operated by any person in violation of this section may be seized by the arresting officer and held as evidence in the trial of a person charged with violating this section and may not be released to the owner or parent or legal guardian of an owner until the completion of the trial of the cause arising out of the violation of this section. (Ord. 2002-24, 6-24-2002)