Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Office Created; Appointment: There is hereby created the Office of the Director of Public Safety. The Director of Public Safety shall be appointed by the Village President, with the advice and consent of the Board of Trustees.
B. Administration And Supervision Of Police Department: The Director of Public Safety shall be a civilian administrative position which serves as the Administrative Head of the Police Department and shall have supervision over all members thereof.
C. Duties: The duties of the Director of Public Safety include, but are not limited to:
1. Be qualified through training and experience to advise and oversee the Police Department. The Director of Public Safety shall not have any powers of arrest and shall not be required to carry a firearm.
2. Be responsible for the oversight of all Police Department functions, including all police officers appointed by the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners and any civil employees hired by the Village working within the Police Department. The Director of Public Safety shall monitor the efficient operation of the Police Department and shall provide advice with respect to the performance by the Police Department of all of its functions.
3. Shall make reports concerning the activities of his department as may be required by statute or by the Mayor and Board of Trustees.
4. Be responsible for the performance by the Police Department of all its functions, and all persons who are members of the Police Department shall serve subject to the orders and direction of the Director of Public Safety.
5. Be responsible for the oversight of all Police Department functions, being the final department authority on all matters of policy, discipline, promotion, hiring, and staff coordination.
6. Monitors the planning, staffing, directing, coordinating and controlling of all department functions and activities, ensuring their efficiency.
7. Reviews and analyzes all Police Department services and activities including maintenance of law and order, protection of life and property, regulation of traffic, apprehension, arrest and detention of law violators, general orders, and maintenance of police records. Recommends policies and procedures based upon review.
8. Develops and monitors Police Department goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area; recommends, within Village policy, appropriate service and staffing levels and the allocation of resources.
9. Oversees the risk management programs established by the Village. Coordinates with supervisors to implement the risk management program/policies per Village guidelines.
10. Represents the Police Department to other Village departments, elected officials and outside agencies; explains, justifies, and defends Police Department programs, policies and activities; negotiates and resolves sensitive, significant and/or controversial issues.
11. Participates in budget development for the Police Department; directs the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; directs the monitoring of and approves expenditures; directs the preparation of and implements budgetary adjustments as necessary.
12. Coordinates Police Department activities with those of other departments, outside agencies and organizations; provides staff assistance to the Village Administrator and Board of Trustees; prepares and presents staff reports and other necessary correspondence.
13. Acts as the Emergency Management Coordinator for the Village (per Village ordinance). (Ord. 2017-28, 6-26-2017)