Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) No person, persons, firm or corporation or similar entity shall begin any improvement, construction, reconstruction, or repair of any existing or new building or structure or cause the same to be done without a separate building permit for each building or structure issued by the Building Commissioner, except in the case of a residential unit accompanied by an unattached garage only 1 permit shall be required.
(B) No land shall be excavated or changed in use without a building permit issued by the Building Commissioner.
(C) Activities requiring a building permit, include but are not limited to:
(1) Installation or construction of retaining walls, fences or swimming pools (above and in-ground);
(2) Installation or construction of a shed, gazebo or shelter regardless of whether or not it is permanently affixed to the ground;
(3) Installation or construction of a driveway, deck, porch, carport, garage or room addition;
(4) Construction, reconstruction, repair, moving or demolition of a building or structure; and
(5) Alteration or remodeling of an existing building or structure that includes any changes in structural members, stairways, load bearing components, electric service, plumbing, means of ingress and/or egress, or any other change(s) affecting or regulated by the Building Code or Sanitary Code, except for minor repairs or changes not involving any of the aforesaid provisions.
(D) No building permit shall be required to repair roofing, gutters, siding or windows, providing no change is contemplated to the load bearing components or the facade of the structure being repaired or modified. All installations, repairs and modifications must be in conformance with all provisions of this chapter regardless of whether a building permit is required.
(E) A permit shall be issued by the Building Commissioner upon finding that the proposed work complies with the requirements of this chapter or upon written order from the Board of Zoning Appeals deciding an appeal, special exception, or variance.
(F) No permit shall be issued prior to the payment of the required fee to the Clerk-Treasurer of Beverly Shores as specified in § 155.065.
(G) As specified in § 155.064(E)(3), no building permit shall be issued for a property upon which a tree removal violation has occurred for a period of 1 year from the year of the last violation. Furthermore, no building permit shall be issued for a property upon which a tree removal violation has occurred until all unpaid tree removal fines have been paid.
(H) After the issuance of any building permit the Building Commissioner shall make, or shall cause to be made, inspections of the work being done as are necessary to ensure full compliance with the provisions of this code and the terms and conditions of the building permit, including, without limitation, prior to the footers and prior to foundation walls being poured, before drywall is installed and prior to the issuance of a certificate of occupancy.
(Ord. 11-21, passed 11-21-2011; Am. Ord. 2014-04, passed - -; Am. Ord. 2016-11, passed 12-19-2016; Am. Ord. 2021-09, passed 7-20-2021) Penalty, see § 155.999