Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Within ten (10) days after a legislative advocate begins to engage in legislative advocacy or receives an executed Engagement Letter, whichever is sooner, the legislative advocate shall register as a legislative advocate with the City Clerk on a form provided by the City for that purpose; provided however, financiers shall register within seventy two (72) hours of: 1) collecting signatures for a referendum or initiative petition or 2) engaging a signature gathering company to acquire such signatures or 3) qualifying as a financier. The legislative advocate shall specify:
1. The name, telephone number, business address, e-mail address and fax number of the legislative advocate and the legislative advocate's employer,
2. The identity of the client and the contact information for the client; provided however that this requirement shall not apply to financiers,
3. A description of the specific business in which the client or financier is involved as it relates to the legislative advocacy,
4. A description with specificity of the matter of Municipal legislation the legislative advocate is attempting to influence, and the outcome desired by the client or financier,
5. An estimate of fees to be generated, or if the legislative advocate is a financier, the estimate of fees to be paid by such financier. The estimate of fees shall be a check-box on the form that will provide a range of fees as follows:
Up to $25,000.00
$25,001.00 to $50,000.00
$50,001.00 to $75,000.00, and
$75,001.00 and above,
6. Whether the legislative advocate has ever been sanctioned for a violation of this article or a violation of any law, regulation or ordinance of another jurisdiction governing legislative advocacy or lobbying. The legislative advocate shall include a description of any such violation,
7. Whether a firm at which the legislative advocate works, has worked, or for which he owns or has owned an equity interest, has been sanctioned for a violation of this article or a violation of any law, regulation or ordinance of another jurisdiction governing legislative advocacy or lobbying. Provided however, the legislative advocate need only report those violations that occurred while he worked for or held in equity interest in the firm. The legislative advocate shall include a description of any such violation,
8. A description of legislative advocacy conducted during the previous twelve (12) months that was not previously reported to the City by the legislative advocate.
B. In addition, expenditure lobbyists shall indicate they are filing as expenditure lobbyists. If the expenditure lobbyist is a corporation, the form shall include the names of the corporation's chief executive officer, chief financial officer, and secretary, any officer who authorized payments to influence local legislative and administrative action, and any person who owns more than twenty percent (20%) of the corporation. If the expenditure lobbyist is a partnership, the form shall include the name of each partner if the entity has fewer than five (5), or the name of the partner with the greatest ownership interest if the entity has five (5) or more partners. If the expenditure lobbyist is any other type of business entity, the form shall include the name of each person with an ownership interest if the entity has fewer than five (5) owners, or the name of the person with the greatest ownership interest in the entity, if the entity has five (5) or more owners.
C. Any form submitted by a legislative advocate shall be signed under penalty of perjury, shall be available for public view in the City Clerk's Office as well as posted on the City's website in a searchable database and shall be forwarded by the City Clerk to each City official, the City Manager and the City Attorney.
D. Within ten (10) days after any information on the form becomes incorrect, the legislative advocate shall update the form with the corrected information.
E. All legislative advocates who filed a legislative advocate registration form with the City between February 9, 2017 through and including February 8, 2018 shall file a new registration form with the City that meets the requirements of this article, or shall file a form disclosing the termination of the legislative advocate relationship pursuant to section 1-9-107 of this article. (Ord. 18-O-2749, eff. 2-9-2018; amd. Ord. 18-O-2752, eff. 5-11-2018; Ord. 19-O-2787, eff. 10-18-2019)