Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Granting Of Variance: Upon its written request as owner of lots 1 through 5, inclusive, tract 6649, through Sidney Eisenshtat, dated January 6, 1958, and upon the suggestion of the council sitting as a planning commission and after public hearings as provided by law, a variance hereby is granted as requested on behalf of Wilshire-Beverly Associates, owners of the described property, to use lots 1 through 5, inclusive, tract 6649, in the city, as per map book 70, page 54, records of the county recorder, for the purpose of constructing thereon an office building containing a total floor area of approximately ninety six thousand (96,000) square feet on the described site, lots 1 through 5, inclusive, containing approximately thirty three thousand seven hundred fifty (33,750) square feet having a total floor area to site area ratio of less than 3.00 to one, with off street parking furnished on the site in the amount of approximately seventy six thousand nine hundred fifty four (76,954) square feet, off street parking equaling eighty percent (80%) of the gross floor area of the structure. The structure shall consist generally of a one-story and mezzanine store building on the west one hundred sixty three feet (163'), more or less, of the site and a tower over a first floor and mezzanine on the east eighty seven feet (87'), more or less, of the site.
B. Conditions: Such variance is granted upon the following conditions to be strictly observed:
1. Setbacks: The structure above the first floor shall maintain a minimum side yard setback of a least ten percent (10%) of the width of the building site but not less than five feet (5'), provided no such setback need be more than twenty feet (20') from the side yard lot line; and provided, further, that no such setback need be maintained next to a street or alley unless necessary to maintain the following light angles.
2. Light Angles: The structure shall be so designed so as to maintain an average light angle of not more than fifty degrees (50°) measured from the centerline of Wilshire Boulevard, not more than sixty degrees (60°) from the centerline of Beverly Drive, not more than fifty degrees (50°) from the centerline of El Camino and not more than seventy degrees (70°) from the centerline of the alley adjacent to the rear of the structure extending from Beverly Drive to El Camino. In determining the average light angle, a portion of the structure may be perpendicular to the lot line to the full height of the structure, provided another portion is set back sufficiently so that the above light angle is not exceeded. The city building official may permit adjustments of not to exceed ten percent (10%) of the stated light angle to prevent unreasonable hardship in design and arrangement.
3. Roof Structures: Except for roof signs which are prohibited under the Uniform Building Code or other sections of this code, penthouses and other roof structures shall be governed by the provisions of the definition of "height of building" in section 10-3-100 of this chapter and by the provisions of the building code, and when in conflict, the latter shall govern.
4. Signs: No sign shall be constructed, erected or maintained on top of any penthouse, or above the top story of the structure, or above one hundred twenty five feet (125'), whichever is less, except on the side of a penthouse.
5. Height Of Structure: The total height of the structure on any portion of the site described in subsection A of this section shall not exceed eight (8) stories or one hundred twenty five feet (125'), whichever is less, as measured by this code, except for the construction of a penthouse as permitted by this code or the building code.
6. Loading And Parking Spaces: Loading spaces shall be provided in connection with the proposed structure and on the described site in accordance with the provisions of article 27 of this chapter, and automobile parking spaces shall be provided in connection with the proposed structure and on the described site, which parking spaces, in addition to the required loading spaces, shall equal at least eighty percent (80%) of the total floor area of the principal structure. Required parking spaces may be provided under ground, on the surface, or above the ground within the height limit in feet in the same structure or on the described building site. Such automobile parking spaces shall be accessible with adequate ingress and egress.
C. Compliance With Other Laws: Except as expressly modified by this section, the use of such lots and the construction of the building shall comply with all rules, regulations, and laws in effect at the time of the construction and use. (1962 Code § 10-811; amd. Ord. 95-O-2239, eff. 7-7-1995)