Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Routes Designated: The following truck routes are hereby designated for trucks or commercial vehicles having a gross weight on any one axle of a vehicle or of a combination of axles, exceeding six thousand (6,000) pounds:
Calvert Street from 13th Street to 14th Street.
Depot Street from 28th Street to 31st Street.
Elm Street from 35th Street to 42nd Street.
Gilbert Street from 12th Street to 16th Street.
Grant Street from 26th Street to South Grant Street.
Interstate Highway 74 from the south city limits to the north city limits.
Interstate Highway 80 from the west city limits to the east city limits.
Kimberly Road from Mississippi Boulevard to the west city limits.
Middle Road from Kimberly Road to Interstate Highway 74.
River Drive from the west city limits to 8th Street.
South Grant Street from Grant Street to 6th Street.
Spruce Hills Drive from the west city limits to Utica Ridge Road.
State Street from 8th Street to the east city limits.
Utica Ridge Road from Spruce Hills Drive to Crow Creek Road.
12th Street from State Street to the Mississippi River.
13th Street from Mississippi Boulevard to State Street.
14th Street from State Street to Calvert Street.
16th Street from Gilbert Street to State Street.
23rd Street from two hundred ninety six feet (296') south of State Street to Grant Street.
26th Street from State Street to the railroad right of way.
31st Street from Depot Street to State Street.
33rd Street from State Street south one thousand three hundred feet (1,300').
35th Street from Elm Street to State Street.
42nd Street from Elm Street to State Street.
B. Gross Weight: The gross weight on any one (1) axle of a vehicle or of a combination of axles operated on any street in the City other than the designated truck routes in the City, except when actually making a bona fide delivery or pick up in the City, shall not exceed six thousand (6,000) pounds.
C. Signs Posted: Signs shall be posted along the truck routes showing the direction thereof and the type of trucks prohibited from using other streets of the City.
D. Special Permit:
1. Any driver or owner of any truck or commercial vehicle having a gross weight on any one (1) axle of a vehicle or of a combination of axles, exceeding six thousand (6,000) pounds desiring to travel any street other than a designated truck route may make written application therefor to the City Engineer for a special permit to travel on said streets.
2. The application shall set forth the reason for not using the designated truck routes; the special permit may be issued by the City Engineer at his discretion under such terms and conditions as he shall impose.
3. If the applicant is dissatisfied with the decision of the City Engineer, he may, within fifteen (15) days, appeal from the decision of the City Engineer to the City Council.
E. Weighing At Request Of Peace Officer: Any peace officer of the City observing a truck or commercial vehicle on a street other than the designated truck route and having reason to believe that the weight of a vehicle and load is unlawful as provided by this section, is authorized to require the driver to stop and submit to a weighing of the same either by means of portable or stationary scales, or may require that the vehicle be driven to the nearest public scale.
F. Exceptions: This section shall not apply to fire apparatus, road machinery used in the construction of City or State roads or highways within the City, school buses or passenger buses, or to any vehicle operating under the terms of a special permit issued by the City Engineer.
G. Length And Weight Of Motor Vehicles:
1. The total length and weight of any motor vehicle or any combination of vehicles shall not exceed that allowed by the statutes of the State of Iowa, except as hereinafter provided.
2. A motor vehicle or combination of vehicles being operated on a particular interstate trip may be operated upon the streets or highways within the City, irrespective of the length and weight limitations imposed by the laws of the State of Iowa, if the length and weight of the motor vehicle or combination of vehicles is in conformity with the laws relating to such length and weight of the State of Illinois on July 1, 1974; provided, however, that such motor vehicles or combination of vehicles are limited to those streets or highways which are of the same type on which the motor vehicles or combination of vehicles are permitted to operate within the State of Illinois; and provided further, that the operation of such motor vehicles or combination of vehicles within the City is limited to commercial zones as described in Federal Regulations, paragraphs 1048.10, 1048.38 and 1048.101 as they existed on July 1, 1974; and providing further, that any motor vehicle operating under this section shall be required to operate on the truck route as listed in this section. (2008 Code § 17-473)