Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Exceptions To Driving On Right: A vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway upon all roadways of sufficient width, except as follows:
1. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement.
2. When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the roadway, provided, any person so doing shall yield the right of way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the roadway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard.
3. Upon a roadway divided into three (3) marked lanes for traffic under the rules applicable thereon.
4. Upon a roadway restricted to one-way traffic.
B. Slow Moving Vehicles: Any vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall be driven in the right hand lane then available for traffic upon all roadways, or as close as practicable to the right hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, an alley, private road or driveway.
C. Roadways Having Four Or More Lanes:
1. A vehicle shall not be driven upon any roadway having four (4) or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, to the left of the centerline of the roadway, except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under subsection A of this section.
2. This subsection C shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the centerline in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road, or driveway. (2008 Code § 17-297)