Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Definitions: As used in this section, the terms listed shall have the meanings ascribed:
ABANDONED VEHICLE: Any of the following:
1. A vehicle that has been left unattended on public property for more than twenty four (24) hours and lacks current registration plates or two (2) or more wheels or other parts which renders the vehicle totally inoperable.
2. A vehicle that has remained illegally on public property for more than twenty four (24) hours.
3. A vehicle that has been unlawfully parked on private property or has been placed on private property without the consent of the owner or person in control of the property for more than twenty four (24) hours.
4. A vehicle that has been legally impounded by order of a police authority and has not been reclaimed for a period of ten (10) days.
5. Any vehicle parked on the highway determined by a police authority to create a hazard to other vehicle traffic.
6. A vehicle that has been impounded pursuant to Iowa Code section 321J.4B by order of the court and whose owner has not paid the impoundment fees after notification by the person or agency responsible for carrying out the impoundment order.
PROPERTY: Any real property within the city which is not a street or highway.
STREET OR HIGHWAY: The entire width between property lines of every way or place of whatever nature when any part thereof is open to the use of the public as a matter of right, for purposes of vehicular traffic.
VEHICLE: A machine propelled by power other than human power designed to travel along the ground by use of wheels, treads, runners, or slides and transport persons or property or pull machinery and shall include, without limitation, automobiles, trucks, trailers, motorcycles, tractors, buggies and wagons.
B. Abandonment Prohibited:
1. No person shall abandon any vehicle within the city, and no person shall leave any vehicle at any place within the city for such a time and under such circumstances as to cause the vehicle reasonably to appear to have been abandoned.
2. A reasonable amount of time, not less than ten (10) days, will be given to the owner of any abandoned or inoperable vehicle on private property to abate the violation.
C. Inoperable Vehicles On Private Property; When Allowed: No person in charge or control of any property within the city, whether as owner, tenant, occupant, lessee, or otherwise, shall allow any partially dismantled, nonoperating, wrecked, junked or discarded vehicle to remain on such property longer than forty eight (48) hours; and no person shall leave any such vehicle on any property within the city for a longer time than seventy two (72) hours. However, this provision shall not apply to a vehicle in an enclosed building, a vehicle on the premises of a business enterprise operated in a lawful place and manner when necessary to the operation of the business enterprise or to a vehicle in an appropriate storage place of depository maintained in a lawful place and manner by the city.
D. Removal And Disposal: The removal and disposal of abandoned vehicles shall be in accordance with the provisions of Iowa Code chapter 321. (2008 Code § 17-89)