Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Community Buildings, Clubs, Social Halls, Lodges, Fraternal Organizations and Similar Uses.
(1) All buildings shall be a minimum of twenty feet from any property line, except where greater distances are otherwise required herein.
(2) In "R" Districts where permitted, there may be included retail sales for members or guests only.
(3) All applications for such uses in "R" Districts shall demonstrate to the satisfaction of the Board of Zoning Appeals and Planning Commission that the proposed use will serve primarily the residents of the surrounding neighborhood and that such use cannot satisfactorily be located elsewhere to serve such neighborhood.
(b) Essential Services, Enclosed or Permanent Structures. Such uses shall include public utility services such as electric substations, transformers, switches and auxiliary apparatus serving a distribution area, telephone exchanges and water pumping station in "R" Districts and shall be subject to the following regulations:
(1) Such facility shall not be located on a local residential street unless no other site is available, and shall be so located as to draw a minimum of vehicular traffic to and through such streets.
(2) The location, design and operation of such facility may not adversely affect the character of the surrounding residential area.
(3) Adequate fences, barriers and other safety devices shall be provided, and shall be landscaped in accordance with the provisions of Section 1149.02(f).
(4) Noise emitted from electric substations shall not be greater than permitted in accordance with the performance standards set forth in Chapter 1161.
(c) Essential Services, Open. Such uses shall be limited to the erection, construction, alteration or maintenance, by public utilities or municipal or other governmental agencies, of underground or overhead gas, electrical, steam or water transmission or distribution systems, collection, communication, supply or disposal systems, including poles, wires, mains, drains, sewers, pipes, conduits, cables, fire alarm boxes, police call boxes, traffic signals, hydrants and other similar equipment and accessories in connection therewith reasonably necessary for the furnishing of adequate service by such public utilities or Municipal or other governmental agencies or for the public health or safety or general welfare, but not including buildings. Where applicable, the landscaping regulations of Section 1149.02 (f) shall apply.
(d) Essential Services and Police Stations, Fire Stations. Such facilities shall be permitted in all "R" Districts provided that:
(1) Such facility is necessary to serve the surrounding residential area where it is not possible to serve such area from a facility located in less restrictive districts.
(2) Such facility shall not be located on a local residential street unless no other site is available, and shall be so located as to draw a minimum of vehicular traffic to and through such streets.
(e) Hospitals, Churches or Other Religious or Eleemosynary Institutions. All such uses shall be located on a public street and shall be landscaped in accordance with the provisions of Section 1149.02 (f).
(Ord. 58(72-73). Passed 11-21-73.)