Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Application process. The rental permit application is commenced by submitting to the City Clerk a completed application form as provided by this section. The application is not complete, and no permit decision can be made under Section 842.10 , until the owner or owner's legal agent meets all requirements of this section. This includes, but is not limited to, the rental dwelling or rental unit being inspected consistent with Section 842.08 , and that all applicable fees have been paid. A completed application constitutes a request for certificate of compliance as provided for in 1967 PA 167, being MCL 125.401 et seq.
(b) Rental permit application form. A rental permit application form shall require at least the following:
(1) The name, permanent home, business and email address, home and business telephone number, and date of birth of the owner and the legal agent, if any. In the case of a corporation, the corporate ID number shall also be provided.
(2) The street address(es) of the rental unit(s).
(3) The number of rental units in the rental dwelling.
(4) Signature(s) and date as required by this section.
(c) Effect of signature. By signing the rental permit application form the owner and the owner's legal agent, if any, is verifying that all information supplied by the owner or owner's legal agent on the form is accurate as of the date signed.
(d) Additional information. In addition to the information supplied by the applicant for the rental permit application the City Clerk shall also attach any recommendation(s) provided by a City department, office, board, or employee, on granting or denial of the rental permit and the basis for the recommendation. A copy of any adverse recommendation that is attached to the application shall be mailed by first class mail to the applicant. The applicant shall have ten business days from the date of mailing to provide a written response to the City Clerk. The written response shall be attached to the application.
(e) Deficiency in form. The City Clerk, within five business days of receipt of a rental permit application form, shall notify the applicant of any deficiencies in the application form, including the failure to pay any fee, which prevents its acceptance. Failure to cure the deficiencies set forth in the notice within thirty days from date of the notice will result in the application being deemed abandoned and the application file closed. Thereafter, an application initiated for the same property is deemed a new application requiring compliance with all initial permit application provisions, including any application fee.
(f) Renewal of rental permit. An application for the renewal of the rental permit shall be made as follows:
(1) City Clerk sends renewal reminder to permittee. A rental permit renewal reminder will be emailed to the permittee or the permittee's legal agent at the most recent email address on file with the City Clerk for that rental dwelling or rental unit, at least sixty days prior to the expiration of the current rental permit. The permittee remains responsible for timely renewal regardless of receipt of reminder.
(2) Contents of rental permit renewal application form. A rental permit renewal application form will require the same information as an initial application form. The permittee must provide all changes in information from the previous application form. Where there is no change in information from the previous application form the permittee shall indicate that there is no change on the renewal application form. In that case, the prior information is considered incorporated by reference.
(3) Filing time limits. The completed rental permit renewal application form must be filed by the permittee with the City Clerk no less than sixty days before the expiration of the current permit to obtain a decision on the rental permit renewal application prior to the expiration of the current rental permit and to avoid rental permit renewal late fees.
(g) Annual update. A permittee shall, on or before the tenth day of December of each year, file an annual update form with the City Clerk. The permittee must provide all changes in information from the previous application form. Where there is no change in information from the previous application form the permittee shall indicate that there is no change. This does not apply to a permittee who received an initial or renewal rental permit during the same calendar year.
(h) Effect of current rental registration. Any valid rental permit issued by the City from April 1, 2009 to April 1, 2011 will remain valid until its expiration, provided, however, such permit shall be subject to the rental permit sanctions set forth in this chapter if applicable.
(Ord. 03-2011. Passed 4-19-11; Ord. 12-17. Passed 12-5-17.)