Skip to code content (skip section selection)
It is the intent of this section for the construction of roofs which are sloped in a manner consistent with the existing and planned character of the buildings of the community and to encourage creative design of buildings and roofs in a manner which contributes to the function, value, and character of the City and its districts.
(a) Building height by zoning district and use:
Zoning Districts and Uses
Height (at finished floor)
Historic and Landmarked
No building shall exceed:
(1) Residential Districts - 2 stories.
(2) Multi-family Residential Uses - 2 1/2 stories.
(3) Historic and Landmarked Structures - 2 1/2 stories.
(4) Commercial District - 2 stories.
(5) Office Districts - 3 stories.
(6) Industrial Districts - 3 stories.
(b) The following exceptions to the maximum height may be approved on a site plan by the Director of Planning, Zoning and Building:
(1) Linear antenna, to a height not greater than ten (10') feet higher than the maximum height allowed in that district;
(2) Flagpole to a height not greater than ten (10') feet higher than the maximum height in that district; and
(3) On flat roofs, parapet walls to a height not greater than thirty (30") inches higher than the maximum height in that district.
(c) If approved by the Architectural Board of Review, decorative building elements, which are not designed for occupancy or use, such as cupolas and steeples, may be approved to a height greater than the main roof of the building.
(d) Where screening is provided and approved by the Architectural Board of Review, roof-mounted equipment may be installed to a height ten (10') feet greater than the maximum permitted building height.
(e) Height of Accessory Structures.
(1) Except as otherwise provided by this Code, no accessory structure shall exceed the maximum building height permitted for the district.
(2) The height of an accessory building in a residential district shall not exceed fifteen (15) feet, except that, on a lot having an area of three (3) acres or more, the height of an accessory building shall not exceed twenty-five (25) feet.
(3) The height of an accessory structure in a commercial or industrial district shall not exceed the height of the principal structure unless approved by the Planning Commission. (Ord. 2009-156. Passed 12-14-09.)