Skip to code content (skip section selection)
As used in this chapter, unless the context requires that a term be given a different meaning:
(a) "Deception" means knowingly deceiving another or causing another to be deceived, by any false or misleading representation, by withholding information, by preventing another from acquiring information, or by any other conduct, act or omission that creates, confirms or perpetuates a false impression in another, including a false impression as to law, value, state of mind, or other objective or subjective fact.
(b) "Defraud" means to knowingly obtain, by deception, some benefit for oneself or another, or to knowingly cause, by deception, some detriment to another.
(c) "Deprive" means to do any of the following:
(1) Withhold property of another permanently, or for such period that appropriates a substantial portion of its value or use, or with purpose to restore it only upon payment of a reward or other consideration;
(2) Dispose of property so as to make it unlikely that the owner will recover it;
(3) Accept, use or appropriate money, property or services, with purpose not to give proper consideration in return for the money, property or services, and without reasonable justification or excuse for not giving proper consideration.
(d) "Owner" means, unless the context requires a different meaning, any person, other than the actor, who is the owner of, who has possession or control of, or who has any license or interest in property or services, even though the ownership, possession, control, license or interest is unlawful.
(e) "Services" include labor, personal services, professional services, rental services, public utility services, including wireless service as defined in Ohio R.C. 5507.01(F)(1), common carrier services, and food, drink, transportation, entertainment and cable television services.
(f) "Writing" means any computer software, document, letter, memorandum, note, paper, plate, data, film or other thing having in or upon it any written, typewritten or printed matter, and any token, stamp, seal, credit card, badge, trademark, label or other symbol of value, right, privilege, license or identification.
(g) "Forge" means to fabricate or create, in whole or in part and by any means any spurious writing, or to make, execute, alter, complete, reproduce or otherwise purport to authenticate any writing, when the writing in fact is not authenticated by that conduct.
(h) "Utter" means to issue, publish, transfer, use, put or send into circulation, deliver or display.
(i) "Coin machine" means any mechanical or electronic device designed to do both of the following:
(1) Receive a coin, bill, or token made for that purpose;
(2) In return for the insertion or deposit of a coin, bill or token, automatically dispense property, provide a service or grant a license.
(j) "Slug" means an object that, by virtue of its size, shape, composition or other quality, is capable of being inserted or deposited in a coin machine as an improper substitute for a genuine coin, bill or token made for that purpose.
(k) "Theft offense" means any of the following:
(1) A violation of Ohio R.C. 2911.01, 2911.02, 2911.11, 2911.12, 2911.13, 2911.31, 2911.32, 2913.02, 2913.03, 2913.04, 2913.041, 2913.11, 2913.21, 2913.31, 2913.32, 2913.33, 2913.34, 2913.40, 2913.42 to 2913.45, 2913.47, 2913.48, 2913.51, 2915.05, 2915.06, 2921.41 or 4737.04(B)(2).
(2) A violation of an existing or former municipal ordinance or law of this or any other state or the United States substantially equivalent to any section listed in subsection (k)(1) hereof or a violation of Ohio R.C. 2913.41, 2913.81 or 2915.06 as it existed prior to July 1, 1996;
(3) An offense under an existing or former municipal ordinance or law of this or any other state or the United States involving robbery, burglary, breaking and entering, theft, embezzlement, wrongful conversion, forgery, counterfeiting, deceit or fraud;
(4) A conspiracy or attempt to commit, or complicity in committing any offense under subsection (k)(1), (2) or (3) hereof.
(l) "Computer services" includes, but is not limited to, the use of a computer system, computer network, computer program, data that is prepared for computer use or data that is contained within a computer system or computer network.
(m) "Computer" means an electronic device that performs logical, arithmetic and memory functions by the manipulation of electronic or magnetic impulses. "Computer" includes, but is not limited to, all input, output, processing, storage, computer program or communication facilities that are connected or related, in a computer system or network to an electronic device of that nature.
(n) "Computer system" means a computer and related devices, whether connected or unconnected, including, but not limited to, data input, output and storage devices, data communications links, and computer programs and data that make the system capable of performing specified special purpose data processing tasks.
(o) "Computer network" means a set of related and remotely connected computers and communication facilities that includes more than one computer system that has the capability to transmit among the connected computers and communication facilities through the use of computer facilities.
(p) "Computer program" means an ordered set of data representing coded instructions or statements that when executed by a computer cause the computer to process data.
(q) "Computer software" means computer programs, procedures and other documentation associated with the operation of a computer system.
(r) "Data" means a representation of information, knowledge, facts, concepts or instructions that are being or have been prepared in a formalized manner and that are intended for use in a computer, computer system or computer network. For purposes of Section 642.27 , "data" has the additional meaning set forth in subsection (a) of that section.
(s) "Cable television service" means any services provided by or through the facilities of any cable television system or other similar closed circuit coaxial cable communications system, or any microwave or similar transmission service used in connection with any cable television system or other similar closed circuit coaxial cable communications system.
(t) "Gain access" means to approach, instruct, communicate with, store data in, retrieve data from or otherwise make use of any resources of a computer, computer system or computer network.
(u) "Credit card" includes, but is not limited to, a card, code, device or other means of access to a customer's account for the purpose of obtaining money, property, labor or services on credit, or for initiating an electronic fund transfer at a point-of-sale terminal, an automated teller machine or a cash dispensing machine.
(v) "Electronic fund transfer" has the same meaning as in 92 Stat. 3728, 15 U.S.C.A. 1693a, as amended. (ORC 2913.01)
(cc) “Elderly person” means a person who is sixty-five years of age or older.
(dd) “Disabled adult” means a person who is eighteen years of age or older and has some impairment of body or mind that makes the person unfit to work at any substantially remunerative employment that the person otherwise would be able to perform and that will, with reasonable probability, continue for a period of at least twelve months without any present indication of recovery from the impairment, or who is eighteen years of age or older and has been certified as permanently and totally disabled by an agency of this State or the United States that has the function of so classifying persons.
(ee) “Firearm” and “dangerous ordnance” have the same meanings as in Ohio R.C. 2923.11.
(ff) “Motor vehicle” has the same meaning as in Ohio R.C. 4501.01.
(gg) “Dangerous drug” has the same meaning as in Ohio R.C. 4729.01.
(hh) “Drug abuse offense” has the same meaning as in Ohio R.C. 2925.01.
(ii) “Assistance dog” has the same meaning as in Ohio R.C. 955.011.
(jj) “Active duty service member” means any member of the armed forces of the United States performing active duty under Title 10 of the United States Code.