Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The former offices of City Auditor and City Treasurer are abolished as of the effective date of this Section. The office of City Director of Finance is hereby created, who shall be the head of and administer the City of Ashtabula Finance Division. Wherever either the term “Auditor” or “Treasurer” is found in this Charter, or in any ordinance enacted prior to the effective date of this section, such term shall be deemed to read and mean “Director of Finance.”
The Director of Finance shall have general charge of the administration of the financial affairs of the City, and to that end shall have authority and shall be required to:
(1) Assist the City Manager in preparing and submitting the current income and expense estimates for the budget;
(2) Supervise and be responsible for the disbursement of all monies and control all expenditures so that appropriation and cash resources are not exceeded;
(3) Maintain a general accounting system for the City government; keep accounts for and exercise budgetary control over each office, department and agency; keep separate appropriate accounts, each of which shall show the amount of appropriation, the encumbrances thereon, the amounts expended therefrom, and the unencumbered balance therein; require reports of receipts and disbursements from each receiving and disbursing agency of the City government at such intervals as the Director of Finance may deem expedient and in such form as required by the Director;
(4) Submit to the City Manager and City Council, not less often than monthly, a statement of receipts and disbursements and account balances in sufficient detail to show the financial condition of the City;
(5) Prepare and deliver to City Council, as of the end of each fiscal year, a complete financial statement and report;
(6) Receive and record all fees and revenues due the City;
(7) Have custody of all public funds belonging to or under control of the City or any office, department or agency of the City government and deposit said funds in such depositories as may be designated by resolution of the Council.
The Director of Finance shall have the authority to appoint, promote, discipline, discharge or lay off such employees as are necessary to perform the duties of the office. Persons who, as of the effective date of this Section, were employees of the prior Auditor or Treasurer, or of the Income Tax Division, shall continue as employees of the Finance Division with the same compensation, rights, duties and privileges as formerly.
The term of office of any persons holding the position of Auditor or Treasurer shall terminate at 11:59 PM on December 31, 2013. The balance of this Section shall become and be effective at 12:00 AM on January 1, 2014. (Amended 5-7-13)