Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) An application for a permit to solicit as required by § 5.28.030 of this code shall be made to the Director of Finance upon forms prescribed by the Committee. Such application shall be sworn to or affirmed and filed with the Director of Finance at least 15 days prior to the time at which the permit applied for is to become effective. The Director of Finance may, for good cause shown, allow the filing of an application less than 15 days prior to the effective date of such permit. The application herein required shall contain the following information, or, in lieu thereof, a statement satisfactory to the Director of Finance of the reason or reasons why such information or any item thereof is not furnished;
(1) A copy of the documentation from the State of California Franchise Tax Board or the Federal Internal Revenue Service certifying nonprofit status.
(2) A financial statement for the last preceding two fiscal or calendar years of any funds collected for charitable purposes by the applicant, giving the amount of money so raised, the cost of raising it and the final distribution thereof.
(3) A full statement of the general character and extent of the charitable work being done or to be done by the applicant showing how much thereof is being done or is to be done within the city.
(4) A statement that the actual cost of the solicitation will not exceed 25% of the total amount to be raised, or, if the cost of solicitation is expected to exceed 25%, a statement of what the maximum amount is expected to be, together with a statement of any special facts tending to show that there are peculiar reasons which in the particular case make a cost higher than 25% reasonable.
(5) A statement to the effect that if a permit is granted, it will not be used or represented in any way as an endorsement of the solicitation or person by the city or by any department or officer thereof.
(6) A statement to the effect that if a permit is granted, no person under the age of 16 years unaccompanied by an adult bearing a permit issued hereunder will be permitted to solicit money.
(7) The names and addresses of applicant's principal officers and management.
(8) The name and address of the person or persons who will be in charge of conducting the solicitation and the names of all promoters connected or to be connected with the proposed solicitation.
(9) The period of time when such solicitation will be made, giving the preferred dates for the beginning and ending of such solicitation.
(10) The amount of any wages, fees, com-missions, expenses or emoluments to be expended or paid to any person in connection with such solicita-tions and the names and addresses of all such persons.
(11) A list of other cities or counties where similar permits have been applied for in the past two years.
(12) Such other information as may be required by the Director of Finance or the committee in order for them to determine the kind and character of the proposed solicitation, and whether such solicitation is in the interests of and not inimical to the public welfare.
(B) If, while any application is pending, or during the term of any permit granted thereon, there is any change in fact, policy, or method that would alter the information given in the application, the applicant shall notify the Director of Finance in writing thereof within 24 hours after such change.
('86 Code, § 5.28.040) (Ord. 2774, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 3673, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 3962, passed - - )