Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Except as otherwise provided herein, or in any applicable resolution, agreement, or memorandum of understanding approved by the City Council, city employees shall be entitled to time off on any holiday so designated pursuant to § 2.56.010.
(A) Permanent full-time or permanent part-time employees shall be entitled to time off with pay for holidays, effective immediately upon the commence-ment of employment by the city.
(B) Temporary employees shall be paid at their regular rate for holidays on which they are required to work but shall not be entitled to time off with pay for any such holidays. Any temporary employee who receives a holiday with pay prior to the effective date of the ordinance codified in this chapter shall continue to be entitled to receive such holidays with pay there-after until the end of the employee's current employ-ment.
(C) Fire Department.
(1) Fire Department personnel on a 24-hour duty shift shall, in lieu of the foregoing holidays, be given seven 24-hour duty shifts time off at such times as may be designated by the department head.
(2) In addition, Fire Department personnel on a 24-hour duty shift shall receive compensation equal to one and one-half times the actual holiday hours worked in lieu of regular pay for the hours worked.
(D) All permanent full-time employees, other than safety service fire and police employees, who are required to work on any holiday shall, in lieu of the holiday, receive at the discretion of their department heads one of the following three options as compensa-tion for the holiday so worked:
(1) Compensatory time off equal to one and one-half times the actual holiday hours worked in addition to straight-time pay for the hours worked; or
(2) Pay equal to two and one-half times their base salary for actual holiday hours work with no compensatory time off; or
(3) Pay equal to one and one-half times their base salary for actual holiday hours worked and an additional eight hours in compensatory time off.
(4) The provisions of this division (D) shall also be applicable to all permanent part-time employees, but any such compensatory time off so earned shall be in proportion to the actual number of hours worked by any such employee.
(5) Each employee entitled to compensa-tion pursuant to this division (D) prior to the holiday to be worked shall submit a written request for one of the aforesaid three options to his or her department head for approval. Each department head shall control the scheduling of any such compensatory time off so earned by his or her employees, subject to the approval of the City Manager.
(E) Police Department personnel who are desig-nated in the employee-employer rules and regulations as being in the “police series” and who are required to work on any holiday shall, in lieu of the foregoing holidays, be given compensatory time off equal to the actual holiday hours worked and, at the employee's option, either time and one-half pay for the holiday hours worked or an equal amount of compensatory time off.
(‘86 Code, § 2.56.020) (Ord. 3861, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 3942, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 3991, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 4087, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 4425, passed 3-29-02; Am. Ord. 4426, passed 4-8-02; Am. Ord. 4757, passed 9-23-19)