Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Monetary compensation shall be paid in lieu of or for unused sick leave as provided in this section.
(A) On December 31 of each year, commencing December 31, 1970, any appointive official or employee who has, on such date, accumulated a minimum of 100 days of sick leave credit may elect to receive monetary compensation at his or her then current pay rate in lieu of sick leave credit in the maximum amount of one-half of his or her unused allowable sick leave for that calendar year, but not to exceed a maximum six days' compensation for such calendar year. Such monetary compensation shall not, however, exceed one-half of the total number of days of such person's accumulated sick leave in excess of 100 days.
(1) For purposes of computation of mone-tary compensation hereunder, all sick leave used in any calendar year shall be charged against sick leave credit accrued for that calendar year.
(2) There shall be deducted from such official's or employee's accumulated sick leave credit the number of days of sick leave for which compensa-tion is paid.
(3) Effective January 1, 1985, an individual need not be in the employ of the city on December 31 of a calendar year in order to be eligible to receive the distribution as described herein, provided that the individual has completed his or her work schedule for the calendar year.
(B) Any appointive official or employee who has been in the employ of the city for 15 years of continuous permanent service or more shall, upon service or disability retirement, be entitled to monetary compensation for a portion of his or her accumulated unused sick leave credit, computed as follows:
(1) One percent of his or her accumulated unused sick leave credit (up to a maximum of 100 days) shall be multiplied by the number of his or her completed years of service (up to a maximum of 25 years), and the resulting amount shall be multiplied by his or her then current daily compensation rate. Such compensation shall in no event exceed 25 days' pay.
(2) Accumulated sick leave credit shall be lost permanently when the employment of any official or employee is terminated for any reason other than service or disability retirement.
(3) Such monetary compensation for sick leave shall be payable only once to any one official or employee even if he or she should later be reemployed by the city.
(C) For purposes of computation under divisions (A) and (B) above, only complete unused days of sick leave shall be considered, but monetary compensation payable therefor shall include payment for fractions of days. For example, if an employee has 5€-days' unused allowable sick leave in a calendar year, only five days shall be considered and the employee shall be entitled to monetary compensation for 2½ days.
('86 Code, § 2.54.012) (Ord. 3499, passed - - ; Am. Ord. 3992, passed - - )