Skip to code content (skip section selection)
A. Inspection Required; Certificate Of Compliance: Every person owning improved real estate that discharges into the city sanitary sewer system shall allow an employee of the city or his designated representative to inspect the buildings to confirm that there is no sump pump or other prohibited discharge into the sanitary sewer system. Properties found to be in compliance will receive a certificate of compliance at the time of inspection.
1. Within thirty (30) days of initial inspection, any person, firm, or corporation having a roof, surface, ground sump pump, foundation drain, or swimming pool and/or discharging into the sanitary sewer system shall disconnect and/or remove same.
2. Any disconnects or openings in the sanitary sewer shall be closed or repaired in an effective and workmanlike manner as approved by the water and wastewater superintendent or superintendent's designated agent.
3. Any person refusing to allow his property to be inspected shall immediately become subject to the surcharge hereinafter provided for.
4. Any property owner found to violate this chapter shall make the necessary changes to comply with this chapter within thirty (30) days of the initial inspection. (Ord. 2004-07, 11-1-2004)
5. A surcharge as established in section 3-1-3 of this code is hereby imposed and added to every sewer billing to property owners who are not in compliance with this chapter within thirty (30) days of initial inspection. This surcharge is in addition to any other penalties that may be incurred under this chapter. Should a single-family unit property owner found to be in compliance with this chapter and during a subsequent inspection found to have reconnected an illegal source to the sanitary sewer shall immediately become subject to this surcharge. (Ord. 2017-01, 1-3-2017)
C. Future Inspections: At any future time, the city may conduct random inspections if the city has reason to suspect that an illegal connection exists on a property to ensure compliance with this chapter. (Ord. 2004-07, 11-1-2004)