Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Districts allowed. Off-premises outdoor advertising signs shall be a permitted in the I-2 General Industrial District and the I-3 Heavy Industrial District; provided, however, that, off-premises outdoor advertising signs shall not be permitted within 600 feet of the proposed right-of-way of U.S. Highway 421-Michigan Road.
(B) Type of signs. Off-premises outdoor advertising signs shall be pole or ground signs.
(C) Maximum sign surface area for off-premises outdoor advertising signs.
(1) Sign surface area: an off-premises outdoor. Advertising sign shall not exceed 72 square feet in sign surface area.
(2) Number of displays: an off-premises outdoor advertising sign shall not contain more than two advertising signs per sign surface.
(3) Extensions allowed: temporary extensions or embellishments integrally incorporated into the sign surface having: a vertical height of no more than two feet above the top of a sign; a maximum horizontal dimension of no more than one foot beyond the sides of the sign; and, a maximum vertical dimension of one foot below the bottom of the sign, shall be allowed.
(D) Spacing between off-premises outdoor advertising signs. The minimum distance between off- premises outdoor advertising signs shall be as specified below.
(1) Linear spacing. The minimum distance between off-premises outdoor advertising signs located along and oriented towards the same side of a public street shall be 2,500 linear feet subject to the following.
(a) The spacing requirement shall be applied equally to both sides of the street at the same time regardless of whether the off-premises outdoor advertising signs are on the same side of the street.
(b) The spacing requirement shall be applied continuously along a street to all off-premises outdoor advertising signs oriented towards that street in either direction whether the off-premises outdoor advertising signs are in the same block or are in different blocks separated by an intersecting street.
(c) For purposes of applying the spacing requirement to off-premises outdoor advertising signs, pole or ground signs shall be treated the same, whether double-faced or single-faced.
(d) Off-premises outdoor advertising signs located at the same intersection are not in violation of the minimum spacing requirement specified herein, because of their nearness to one another if they are located so that their messages are directed towards traffic flowing in different directions.
(2) Measurement of linear spacing. The method of measurement of the spacing between off- premises outdoor advertising signs oriented towards the same street shall be along the centerline of the street to which the off-premises sign is oriented from the point in the street’s centerline closest to the leading edge of the off-premises sign.
(3) Radial spacing. In no event shall an off-premises outdoor advertising sign be closer than 1,000 feet from any other off-premises outdoor advertising sign regardless of location or orientation.
(E) Minimum front, side and rear yard setback for off-premises outdoor advertising signs.
(1) Front yard setback. The minimum front yard setback for an off-premises outdoor advertising sign shall be 60 feet from the proposed right-of-way.
(2) Side and rear yard setback. Off-premises outdoor advertising signs may have a maximum height of up to four feet above grade when located at the minimum required side or rear yard setback. The maximum height may be increased by one foot in height for each additional one foot of setback from the minimum required side or rear yard until the maximum height allowed for an off-premises outdoor advertising sign is reached.
(F) Maximum height of off-premises outdoor advertising signs.
(1) The maximum height of an off-premises outdoor advertising ground sign shall not exceed six feet in height above grade.
(2) The maximum height of an off-premises outdoor advertising pole sign shall not exceed 15 feet in height above grade.
(G) Construction of off-premises outdoor advertising signs. The supports, uprights, bracing and framework of an off-premises outdoor advertising pole sign shall be of steel construction.
(H) Separation from R districts. No off-premises outdoor advertising sign shall be located within 600 feet of any R district.
(Ord. 2000-16, passed 8-28-2000, § 6.9)