Skip to code content (skip section selection)
Required landscaping shall apply as follows.
(A) Applicability in zoning districts. The regulations as set forth in this article shall apply to all lots in all zoning districts.
(B) Change of use.
(1) When the use of a lot, parcel, land, building, or structure changes, or after five years of vacancy, or upon expansion of any building, parcel, structure, or use by an area or value of 50% or more, the development standards as set forth in this article shall apply.
(2) If the gross floor area of an existing building is increased by 50% or more cumulative after the effective date of this amendment, the requirements of this article shall apply to the entire lot upon which the building is located.
(3) If the land use of 50% or more of the gross floor area on a lot is changed cumulative after the effective date of this amendment, the requirements of this article shall apply to the entire lot upon which the building is located.
(4) The requirements for landscaping and irrigation within a parking lot (five or more spaces) as found in Article 16 of this chapter shall be provided in the manner set forth in this article except that when required to comply with development standards following the loss of a nonconforming status or change of use a landowner or tenant shall not be required to reduce the parking area by more than 10% or reduce the parking area to a size which would not satisfy the minimum parking requirements for any lawful use of such lot, parcel, or land.
(C) City landscaping guidelines. The city landscaping guidelines shall be used in conjunction with this article to provide guidance for both the commercial landscaping firm and the private property owner.
(D) Conflicts with other regulations.
(1) Where portions of this article are in conflict with other portions of the zoning code, the more restrictive regulation shall apply.
(2) Where portions of this article are in conflict with federal or state-mandated requirements for airports (FAA and/or military requirements for planting height limits and plant debris), or for the public utility companies as defined in § 154-01.07, the Planning Director may waive portions of the landscaping regulations to the extent of the conflict.
(E) Uses prohibited; alleys.
(1) Parking, loading activities, product display, and sales shall not be permitted in any required landscape area.
(2) Required landscape areas shall be maintained free from encroachment by any use, structure, vehicle, or feature not a part of the landscaping design, except as specified in this article.
(3) Alleys may not be counted toward fulfillment of the rear or side yard setback requirement. Rear or side yard setbacks along alleys shall not be required to be landscaped.
(F) De minimus standards. In cases where site development occupies 5% or less net site area, the landscape development standards of this article shall apply only to the developed area of the site.
('80 Code, App. A, § 181) (Ord. 583, passed 9-16-1952; Ord. 2584, passed 9-16-1992; Ord. O96-77, passed 8-7-1996; Ord. O2000-25, passed 5-3-2000; Ord. O2010-32, passed 7-7-2010; Ord. O2017-024, passed 8-2-2017)