Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Purpose. The purpose of the R-2-5 District is to provide additional housing styles and development types in the medium density multiple-family zoning district. The R-2-5 is a zone of single-family housing units in a more compact form, with smaller setbacks, more lot coverage, staggered front yard setbacks and a requirement to provide stormwater retention/open space on a larger scale, encouraging one larger basin and fewer small retention basins.
(B) Applicability. The allowed residential density of the Medium Density Residential Districts shall be in conformance with the appropriate General Plan Land Use Designation and in compliance with the Zoning Conformity Matrix.
(C) Permitted principal uses.
(1) A single-family subdivision with lots containing at least 5,000 square feet and meeting the density requirement of five to12.9 dwelling units/acre;
(2) Child day care services, small (SIC 8351);
(3) Publicly owned and operated parks, playgrounds and recreational uses;
(4) Community garden; and
(5) Rooming and boarding houses, (small).
(Ord. O2015-021, passed 4-15-2015; Ord. O2017-026, passed 8-16-2017)
(D) Permitted accessory uses.
(1) Accessory uses of buildings or structures customarily incidental and subordinate to any use permitted by this chapter such as swimming pools, garages, laundry rooms and public recreation areas and structures, subject to the criteria as specified in § 154-15.15 of this chapter;
(2) Home occupations; any home occupation that does not require customers or employees to come to the home, with the exception of child day care services, small and piano/music lessons; and
(3) Personal auto repair for the resident of the home only.
(Ord. O2014-29, passed 10-1-2014)
(E) Conditional uses.
(1) Child day care services, large; and
(2) Company housing complex (small); per § 154-15.19 of this chapter.
(Ord. O2019-022, passed 6-5-2019)
(F) Property development standards. In addition to the regulations and requirements contained in other sections of this chapter, the following minimum property development standards apply to all land and buildings in the Medium Density Single-Family Residential (R-2-5) District as may be designated on the official zoning map.
(1) Lot size. The minimum lot size in the Medium Density Single-Family Residential (R-2-5) District shall be 5,000 square feet. If more than one lot is being developed, the average net lot size for all lots (excluding any retention basin lot) shall be 5,000 square feet, as determined by the Zoning Administrator.
(2) Density. The maximum density in the Medium Density Single-Family Residential (R-2-5) District shall be one unit per 5,000 square feet of land (meeting the density as identified in the General Plan), provided all other development standards in this zoning district are met.
(3) Lot width. The minimum lot width in the Medium Density Single-Family Residential (R-2-5) District shall be 50 feet. On cul-de-sac lots, the lot width may be reduced to 40 feet, as measured at the front yard setback line.
(4) Lot coverage. The maximum lot coverage in the Medium Density Single-Family Residential (R-2-5) District shall be 45% of the lot area. The required 400 square feet of enclosed garage shall not count against the maximum lot coverage percentage listed above.
(5) Yards. The following is the list of minimum yard setbacks in the Medium Density Single-Family Residential (R-2-5) District.
(a) Minimum front yard setback. Minimum front yard setback of 15 feet, with a range of staggered front yard setbacks between 15 and 20 feet, with a maximum of 50% of the lots having a 15-foot setback. Garages can be placed separately from the dwelling unit on the lot;
(b) Minimum side yard setbacks. Five feet, clear of equipment and any other structures and/or appurtenances on one side, nine feet on the other side;
(c) Minimum rear yard setback. Ten feet, (except for detached garage);
(d) Minimum street side yard setback. Ten feet; and
(e) Walls. The side and rear yards shall have six foot solid block walls on the property lines. The actual location of the beginning of the six foot side yard wall shall be determined based on the house plan built, starting from some appropriate point (as determined by the Zoning Administrator) along the side yard property line next to the house, with the wall continuing and adjoining the rear property line wall.
(6) Garages. Garages can be attached or detached from the dwelling unit. If attached, the minimum front yard garage setback shall be 15 feet and must comply with the staggered front yard setback in division (F)(5)(a) above. If garages are detached from the unit, they can be placed anywhere from the minimum 15 feet front yard setback (complying with division (F)(5)(a) above) to a minimum rear yard setback of three feet.
(7) Building heights. The maximum building height in the Medium Density Single- Family Residential (R-2-5) District shall be 40 feet.
(8) Landscaping and irrigation. Each lot in the Medium Density Single-Family Residential (R-2-5) District shall have a minimum of one 15-gallon street tree and accompanying underground irrigation system.
(9) Off-street parking. Each single-family dwelling shall have a two-car garage for parking cars and household storage. In addition to the two-car garage, each single-family dwelling shall have a paved driveway capable of providing parking for two cars.
(10) Stormwater retention basins. When an R-2-5 subdivision is planned, the stormwater retention shall occur on a larger scale, with basins planned to accommodate a minimum of one-quarter section (160 acres) of adjacent surrounding land. The basins shall be planned, when possible, to align with the locations identified for neighborhood parks in the General Plan. For infill projects, projects less than 160 acres, or projects that are constrained by physical barriers such as rail lines, elevated freeways and irrigation canals, smaller basins may be allowed on a case-by-case basis upon approval of the Zoning Administrator.
(Ord. O2010-46, passed 9-1-2010; Ord. O2010-64, passed 12-15-2010) Penalty, see § 154-999