Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purpose of this chapter the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
A-WEIGHTED SOUND LEVEL. A measure of sound that has been mathematically adjusted to approximate the sensitivity of human hearing to different frequencies. A-weighted sound level is measured in A-weighted decibels (dB).
ELECTRONICALLY AMPLIFIED SOUND. Any sound which has been amplified, enlarged, extended, manipulated, or produced by any electronic process or means, e.g., loud speaker, loud speaker system, public address system, sound amplification equipment, or any such similar device.
EMERGENCY. Any occurrence or circumstance involving actual or potentially imminent physical trauma, significant property damage, endangerment of the public, or criminal activity which demands immediate attention.
EMERGENCY VEHICLE. Any police, fire, ambulance, or other public service vehicle.
EQUIVALENT CONTINUOUS SOUND LEVEL (Leq). (Sometimes abbreviated as "equivalent continuous"). The equivalent steady-state A-weighted sound level that, in a specified period of time, would contain the same acoustic energy as the time-varying sound level during the same time period.
EVENING. The period of time:
(1) From 1900 hours (7:00 p.m.) until 2200 hours (10:00 p.m.) during a weekend or any day before a legal holiday; and
(2) From 1900 hours (7:00 p.m.) until 2100 hours (9:00 p.m.) during any weekday that is not the day before a legal holiday.
MAXIMUM SOUND LEVEL (Lmax). The greatest A-weighted sound level measured on "slow" response (averaged over one second).
NIGHTTIME. (Sometimes abbreviated as "night"). The period of time:
(1) From 2200 hours (10:00 p.m.) until 0700 hours (7:00 a.m.) during a weekend or any day before a legal holiday; and
(2) From 2100 hours (9:00 p.m.) until 0700 hours (7:00 a.m.) during any weekday that is not the day before a legal holiday.
PERSON. Any individual, group of individuals, company, association, society, firm, partnership, or business or governmental entity that, acting individually or in concert with others:
(1) Creates, plays, reproduces, furnishes, or transmits electronically amplified sound; or
(2) Plans, promotes, schedules or hosts any event that creates, plays, reproduces, furnishes, or transmits electronically amplified sound.
RECEIVING PROPERTY. Any property, location or dwelling unit which is zoned and utilized for residential purposes and is exposed to noise emanating from another property, location or dwelling unit.
SOUND PRESSURE LEVEL. Ten times the logarithm to the base ten of the ratio of the time-mean-square pressure of a sound, in a stated frequency band, to the square of the reference sound pressure in gases of 20 micropascals.
WEEKDAY. Any time on or after 1900 hours (7:00 p.m.) Sunday night and before 1900 hours (7:00 p.m.) Friday night.
WEEKEND. Any time on or after 1900 hours (7:00 p.m.) Friday night and before 1900 hours (7:00 p.m.) Sunday night.
(Ord. O2010-47, passed 9-1-10)