Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) A Merit System Board is hereby established. The Board shall consist of five members who support merit system principles of the city. The Board is appointed by the City Council, as provided for in the City Charter.
(B) The members shall be appointed for staggered terms of five years, and must be qualified electors of the city, who must reside within the city limits during their terms of office and will serve without compensation. Beginning July 1, 2011, all terms will expire on December 31 of the term expiration year.
(C) Vacancies on the Board will be filled by the City Council for the unexpired term. Each member will serve until a successor member is appointed.
(D) The City Council will have the power to remove members of the Merit System Board as provided for in the City Charter.
(E) In January of each year, the Merit System Board shall elect a chairperson from among the appointed members.
(F) The Board shall have the duties and powers to:
(1) Conduct appeal hearings of classified employees.
(2) Empower one or more of its members or a hearing officer to administer oaths, examine witnesses under oath, and compel their attendance or production of evidence by subpoena to be served.
(3) Certify its finding(s) and recommendation(s) to the City Administrator.
(4) Review amendments and changes to these personnel rules, upon request by the City Administrator, and submit recommendations to the City Administrator.
(5) Promulgate rules and procedures for the conduct of its meetings.
('80 Code, § 22-2) (Ord. 2617, passed 6-16-93; Ord. O2010-66, passed 1-5-11)