Skip to code content (skip section selection)
1. Required: Every motorcycle shall be equipped with at least one and not more than two (2) headlamps.
2. Location: Every such headlamp shall be located at a height of not more than fifty four inches (54") nor less than twenty four inches (24") from the ground as measured from the center of the lamp to the level ground upon which such motorcycle stands without a load. (1973 Code § 10.64.130)
3. Use Required: Every motorcycle or moped upon a highway or street of this city at any time from one-half (1/2) hour after sunset to one-half (1/2) hour before sunrise and at any other time when, because of insufficient light or unfavorable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway or street are not clearly discernible at a distance of one thousand feet (1,000') ahead shall display lighted lamps and illuminating devices as respectively required in this chapter. (1973 Code § 10.64.100; amd. 2001 Code)
B. Stop Lights; Turn Signals:
1. Required: Every motorcycle upon a highway shall be equipped with stop lights and turn signals to be lighted in the manner prescribed for the use of such devices. (1973 Code § 10.64.100)
2. Electric Turn Signals: Every motorcycle manufactured after January 1, 1972, shall be equipped with electric turn signal lamps.
3. Location: Such lamps shall be located on the front and rear and shall indicate an intention to turn by flashing lights in the direction toward which the turn is to be made.
a. Front: The lamps showing to the front shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable and, when signaling, shall emit white or amber light, or any shade of light between white and amber.
b. Rear: The lamps showing to the rear shall be mounted on the same level and as widely spaced laterally as practicable, and, when signaling, shall emit red or amber light, or any shade of light between red and amber. (1973 Code § 10.64.120)
1. Required: Every motorcycle or moped shall be equipped with at least one tail lamp mounted on the rear, which, when lighted as required by this chapter, shall emit a red light plainly visible from a distance of five hundred feet (500') to the rear.
2. Wiring: Such lamp shall be wired to be lighted whenever the headlamp is lighted. (1973 Code § 10.64.110; amd. 2001 Code)
1. Required; Location: Every motorcycle or moped shall carry on the rear at least one reflector, which shall be mounted at a height not less than twenty inches (20") nor more than sixty inches (60") from the ground as measured from the center of the reflector to the level ground upon which such motorcycle stands without a load.
2. Size, Character, Mounting: Each such reflector shall be of a size and character and so mounted as to be visible at night from all distances within three hundred feet (300') when directly in front of lawful upper beams of headlamps. (1973 Code § 10.64.140; amd. 2001 Code)