Skip to code content (skip section selection)
The City Manager shall be the chief executive and administrative officer of the City and shall be recognized by the courts for civil process involving the City. The City Manager shall be responsible to the Council for the administration of all City affairs placed in the Manager’s charge by or under this Charter. The City Manager shall:
(1) Appoint all City employees and administrative department heads, with the exception of those under the direct supervision of the City Council, Finance Director or Law Director.
(2) Discipline and remove City employees and administrative department heads under his or her direct supervision, as necessary.
(3) Direct and supervise the administration of all departments, offices and agencies of the City, except those under the direct supervision of the Finance Director and the Law Director or as otherwise provided by this Charter or by law.
(4) Attend City Council meetings. The City Manager shall have the right to take part in discussion but shall not vote.
(5) See that all laws, provisions of this Charter and acts of the City Council, subject to enforcement by the City Manager or by officers subject to the Manager’s direction and supervision, are faithfully executed.
(6) Make an annual “State of the City” address which shall be published for citizen review in a publication of general circulation as well as presented publicly prior to December 1 of each year.
(7) Make such other reports as the City Council may require concerning the operation of City departments, offices and agencies subject to the City Manager’s direction and supervision.
(8) Make recommendations to the City Council concerning the affairs of the City.
(9) Provide staff support services for the Council.
(10) Execute contracts on behalf of the City.
(11) Act as the Safety Director for the City.
(12) Perform such other duties as are specified in this Charter or as may be required by the City Council.