Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) Victim Advocate Division. A Victim Advocate Division is hereby created within the Department of Law, which shall have such officers, assistants and other employees as may from time-to-time be determined by the Law Director, with the approval of the City Council. All employees shall be appointed by the Law Director, and shall be under the supervision and control of the Law Director.
(b) Victim Advocate Supervisor.
(1) Appointment - The Victim Advocate Supervisor shall be the head of Victim Advocate Division, and shall be under the supervision and control of the Law Director.
(2) Powers and Duties - The Victim Advocate Supervisor shall perform such duties and have such obligations and responsibilities as are set forth in this Section and all other ordinances and resolutions passed by the City Council or applicable statutes of this State relative to victim advocate services, and as assigned and directed by the Law Director.
(3) Unclassified Service - In accordance with Section 10.04 of the City's Charter, the position of Victim Advocate Program Supervisor shall be in the unclassified service.
(c) Functions. The Victim Advocate Division, under the supervision and direction of the Victim Advocate Supervisor, shall perform the following functions:
(1) Provide support and court advocacy for victims of misdemeanor crimes that are prosecuted through the Xenia Municipal Court;
(2) Assist victims with their legal rights and protections, provide victims information on the criminal justice process, assist victims with finding shelter, transportation and other needs;
(3) Act as a liaison between victims of crime, their families, and the City Prosecution Division;
(4) Make service referrals, such as counseling and public services; and
(5) Notify victims of court hearings and other court-related appearances.
(d) Additional Powers and Duties. The Victim Advocate Division may also perform any other functions consistent with victim advocate services as may be necessary or as the Law Director, the City's ordinances, or State law may designate.
(Ord. 73-51. Passed 11/08/73; Ord. 2018-27. Passed 09/13/18)