Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Initiation/complaint. Whenever a violation of this subchapter occurs, or is alleged to have occurred, any person may file a written complaint. Such complaint shall state fully the alleged violation and the basis thereof, and shall be filed with the Stormwater Manager, who shall record the complaint. The complaint shall be investigated promptly by the Stormwater Manager.
(B) Inspection. The Stormwater Manager shall have the authority, upon presentation of proper credentials, to enter and inspect any land, building, structure, or premises to ensure compliance with this subchapter.
(C) Notice of violation and order to correct.
(1) When the Stormwater Manager finds that any building, structure, or land is in violation of this subchapter, the Stormwater Manager shall notify, in writing, the property owner or other person violating this subchapter. The notification shall indicate the nature of the violation, contain the address or other description of the site upon which the violation is occurring, order the necessary action to abate the violation, and give a deadline for correcting the violation. If civil penalties are to be assessed, the notice of violation shall also contain a statement of the civil penalties to be assessed, the time of their accrual, and the time within which they must be paid or be subject to collection as a debt.
(2) The Stormwater Manager may deliver the notice of violation and correction order personally, by the Code Enforcement Administrator, by certified or registered mail, return receipt requested, or by any means authorized for the service of documents by Rule 4 of the North Carolina Rules of Civil Procedure.
(3) If a violation is not corrected within a reasonable period of time, as provided in the notification, the Stormwater Manager may take appropriate action under this subchapter to correct and abate the violation and to ensure compliance with this subchapter.
(D) Extension of time.
(1) A person who receives a notice of violation and correction order, or the owner of the land on which the violation occurs, may submit to the Stormwater Manager a written request for an extension of time for correction of the violation. On determining that the request includes enough information to show that the violation cannot be corrected within the specified time limit for reasons beyond the control of the person requesting the extension, the Stormwater Manager may extend the time limit as is reasonably necessary to allow timely correction of the violation, up to, but not exceeding 90 days. The Stormwater Manager may grant 30-day extensions in addition to the foregoing extension if the violation cannot be corrected within the permitted time due to circumstances beyond the control of the person violating this subchapter.
(2) The Stormwater Manager may grant an extension only by written notice of extension. The notice of extension shall state the date prior to which correction must be made, after which the violator will be subject to the penalties described in the notice of violation and correction order.
(E) Enforcement after time to correct. After the time has expired to correct a violation, including any extension(s) if authorized by the Stormwater Manager, the Stormwater Manager shall determine if the violation is corrected. If the violation is not corrected, the Stormwater Manager may act to impose one or more of the remedies and penalties authorized by this subchapter.
(F) Emergency enforcement. If delay in correcting a violation would seriously threaten the effective enforcement of this subchapter or pose an immediate danger to the public health, safety, or welfare, then the Stormwater Manager may order the immediate cessation of a violation. Any person so ordered shall cease any violation immediately. The Stormwater Manager may seek immediate enforcement, without prior written notice, through any remedy or penalty authorized by this section.
(Ord. 1538,passed 5-24-07)