(A)   Permit required. A permit must be obtained from the Zoning Administrator prior to conducting the following activities:
      (1)   The erection, addition, modification, rehabilitation, or alteration of any building, structure, or portion thereof. Normal maintenance and repair also requires a permit if such work, separately or in conjunction with other planned work, constitutes a substantial improvement as defined in this chapter.
      (2)   The use or change of use of a building, structure, or land.
      (3)   The construction of a dam, fence, or on-site septic system, although a permit is not required for a farm fence as defined in this chapter.
      (4)   The change or extension of a nonconforming use.
      (5)   The repair of a structure that has been damaged by flood, fire, tornado, or any other source.
      (6)   The placement of fill, excavation of materials, or the storage of materials or equipment within the floodplain.
      (7)   Relocation or alteration of a watercourse, unless a public waters work permit has been applied for.
      (8)   Any other type of development as defined in this chapter.
   (B)   Application for permit. Permit applications must be submitted to the Zoning Administrator on forms provided by the Zoning Administrator. The permit application must include the following as applicable:
      (1)   A site plan showing all pertinent dimensions, existing or proposed buildings, structures, and significant natural features having an influence on the permit.
      (2)   Location of fill or storage of materials in relation to the stream channel.
      (3)   Copies of any required municipal, county, state or federal permits or approvals.
      (4)   Other relevant information requested by the Zoning Administrator as necessary to property evaluate the permit application.
   (C)   Certificate of zoning compliance for a new, altered, or nonconforming use. No building, land or structure may be occupied or used in any manner until a certificate of zoning compliance has been issued by the Zoning Administrator stating that the use of the building or land conforms to the requirements of this chapter.
   (D)   Certification. The applicant is required to submit certification by a registered professional engineer, registered architect, or registered land surveyor that the finished fill and building elevations were accomplished in compliance with the provisions of this chapter. Floodproofing measures must be certified by a registered professional engineer or registered architect.
   (E)   Record of first floor elevation. The Zoning Administrator must maintain a record of the elevation of the lowest floor (including basement) of all new structures and alterations or additions to existing structures in the floodplain. The Zoning Administrator must also maintain a record of the elevation to which structures and alterations or additions to structures are floodproofed.
   (F)   Notifications for watercourse alterations. Before authorizing any alteration or relocation of a river or stream, the Zoning Administrator must notify adjacent communities. If the applicant has applied for a permit to work in public waters pursuant to M.S. § 103G.245, this will suffice as adequate notice. A copy of the notification must also be submitted to the Chicago Regional Office of the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
   (G)   Notification to FEMA when physical changes increase or decrease base flood elevations. As soon as is practicable, but not later than six months after the date such supporting information becomes available, the Zoning Administrator must notify the Chicago Regional Office of FEMA of the changes by submitting a copy of the relevant technical or scientific data.
(Ord. 1079, passed 4-14-14)