Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(a) No structures other than those incidental to park purposes, such as shelter houses or paved courts and the like; or those concerned with agricultural pursuits, such as barns or sheds may be erected in the Areas of Special Flood Hazard. In no instance are Areas of Special Flood Hazard to be considered as suitable or permissible for single or multiple residence use, or for institutional, commercial or industrial structures.
(b) Any development permitted other than that specified in subsection (a) hereof must be:
(1) Anchored to resist flotation, collapse or lateral movement;
(2) Constructed with materials and utility equipment resistant to flood damage;
(3) Constructed using methods and practices that minimize flood damage.
(c) No land lying within any Areas of Special Flood Hazard of the Olentangy River shall be filled in any manner whatsoever, except for control of erosion caused by river flow. Any fill placed for erosion purposes within the floodway must meet the encroachment provision of subsection (f) hereof.
(d) No land lying in the Areas of Special Flood Hazard shall be excavated in any manner except pursuant to a grading plan approved by Council.
Any excavated material shall not be placed within a floodway unless the standards of subsection (f) are met.
(e) All utilities placed within any Areas of Special Flood Hazard must be floodprotected to the following standards:
(1) All new and replacement water supply systems shall be designed to minimize or eliminate infiltration of flood waters into the systems and discharge from the systems into flood waters; and
(2) New and replacement sanitary sewage systems shall be designed to minimize or eliminate infiltration of flood waters into the systems and discharge from the systems into flood waters; and
(3) On-site waste disposal systems shall be located to avoid impairment to them or contamination from them during flooding.
(f) No encroachment including fill, new construction, substantial improvements or other development may be placed within a floodway unless a hydrologic and hydraulic evaluation demonstrates that the proposed encroachment shall not result in any increase in flood levels during the occurrence of the Base Flood discharge.
(Ord. 20-99. Passed 4-12-99.)