Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Prohibition of illicit discharges.
(1) No person shall discharge or cause to be discharged into the municipal storm drainage system or watercourses any materials, including, but not limited to, pollutants or waters containing any pollutants that cause or contribute to a violation of applicable water quality standards, other than storm water.
(2) The commencement, conduct or continuance of any illegal discharge to the storm drainage system is prohibited.
(B) Exempt discharges. The following discharges are exempt from discharge prohibitions established by this subchapter:
(1) Water line flushing or other potable water sources; landscape irrigation or lawn watering; diverted stream flows; rising ground water, ground water infiltration to storm drains, uncontaminated pumped ground water, foundation or footing drains (not including active groundwater dewatering systems, such as dewatering excavations for foundations or pipelines), crawl space pumps; air conditioning condensation; and springs; non-commercial washing of vehicles, natural riparian habitat or wetland flows, water from swimming pools with less than one part per million (PPM) of chlorine, firefighting activities; and any other water source not containing pollutants;
(2) Discharges specified in writing by the village as being necessary to protect public health and safety dye testing is an allowable discharge, but requires a written notification to the village prior to the time of the test; and
(3) This prohibition shall not apply to any non-storm water discharge permitted under an NPDES permit, waiver or waste discharge order issued to the discharger and administered under the authority of the Federal Environmental Protection Agency; provided that, the discharger is in full compliance with all requirements of the permit, waiver or order and other applicable laws and regulations; and, provided that, written approval has been granted for any discharge to the storm drainage system.
(C) Prohibition of illicit connections.
(1) The construction, use, maintenance or continued existence of illicit connections to the storm drainage system is prohibited.
(2) This prohibition expressly includes, without limitation, illicit connections made in the past, regardless of whether the connection was permissible under law or practices applicable or prevailing at the time of connection.
(3) A person is considered to be in violation of this subchapter if the person connects a line conveying non-storm water discharge to the MS4, or allows such a connection to continue.
(Ord. 391, passed 8-7-2013) Penalty, see § 53.99