Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Employment. The village may employ part-time police officers from time to time as it deems necessary.
(B) Duties. A part-time police officer shall have all the responsibilities of a full-time police officer and such specific duties as delineated in the general orders of the Village Police Department, but the number of hours a part-time officer may work within a calendar year is restricted. Part-time police officers shall not be assigned to supervise or direct full-time police officers. Part-time police officers shall be trained in accordance with the state’s Police Training Act (50 ILCS 705/1 et seq.) and the rules and requirements of the DJETSB.
(C) Hiring standards. Any person employed as a part-time police officer must meet the following standards:
(1) Be of good moral character, of temperate habits, of sound health and physically and mentally able to perform assigned duties.
(2) Be at least 21 years of age;
(3) Pass a medical examination;
(4) Possess a high school diploma or G.E.D. certificate;
(5) Possess a valid State of Illinois driver’s license;
(6) Possess no prior felony convictions; and
(7) Any individual who has served in the U.S. military must have been honorably discharged.
(D) Discipline. Part-time officers shall be under the disciplinary jurisdiction of the Chief of Police. Part-time police officers serve at the discretion of the village authorities, shall not have any property rights in said employment and may be removed by the village authorities at any time. Part-time police officers shall comply with all applicable rules and general orders issued by the Police Department.
(Ord. 372, passed 7-18-2012)