Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) General regulations.
(1) Detached accessory structures shall not be allowed in front yards.
(2) Accessory structures are not to be used for human occupancy.
(3) On corner lots, detached accessory structures shall meet front yard setbacks on each street frontage.
(4) No detached accessory structure shall be placed within six feet of any other principal or accessory structures.
(5) Accessory structures must be placed at least five feet from any lot line and shall not encroach on a dedicated easement, without obtaining a variance from the Board of Zoning Appeals.
(B) Accessory structures in agricultural districts.
(1) No animals may be housed, stabled, or kenneled less than 150 feet from any property line.
(2) Height restrictions shall comply with § 156.036 of this code.
(C) Accessory structures in residential districts.
(1) The accessory structure shall be located on the same lot as the principal structure.
(2) The cumulative square footage of all detached accessory structures shall not exceed the sum of 25% of the required rear yard plus 40% of the non-required rear yard of the principal structure, but in no event shall the cumulative square footage exceed the ground floor area of the principal structure and any attached garage.
(3) Detached accessory structures shall be allowed only in rear yards.
(4) Detached accessory structures shall not be served by water or sewer/septic services.
(5) Height of detached accessory structure shall not exceed 17 feet.
(6) Accessory structures shall be used only for those uses permitted in the residential district in which they are located, except as otherwise prohibited herein.
(Ord. 23, § 2.60.30, passed 3-19-1997; Am. Ord. 45, passed 4-15-1998; Am. Ord. 93, passed 7-17-2001; Am. Ord. 41I, passed 2-15-2010; Am. Ord. 234, passed 5-13-2014) Penalty, see § 156.999