Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Business credit card for travel expenses.
(1) The Clerk-Treasurer is hereby authorized to make application for and maintain a business credit card for the use by town department heads and employees designated by the department head for travel and permitted expenses related thereto as defined below. The credit card for travel expenses shall have a credit limit of $3,000. The credit card shall be held by the Clerk-Treasurer and available to only the department heads of the following departments:
(a) Town Manager;
(b) Parks and Recreation;
(c) Waste water treatment;
(f) Street; and
(2) When not in use, the credit cards shall be secured in the office of the Clerk-Treasurer. Upon request by a town department head, the Clerk-Treasurer shall issue the credit card for use and shall keep a record showing the name of the department head issued the card, the date of issuance, the date of return, and the purpose of use. Upon return, the department head shall provide a written accounting of all charges and receipts for each purchase made. The department head shall be responsible for the card and its use when outside of the control of the Clerk-Treasurer's office.
(3) Town officials, department heads and employees shall use the credit card exclusively for the purpose of town travel expenses limited to the following:
(a) Hotel or motel room reservations;
(b) Hotel or motel room charges for telephone calls pertaining to town business;
(c) Meals pursuant to the Employee Handbook, plus maximum of 20% gratuity;
(d) Fees associated with attending schools, conferences, seminars and the like; and
(e) Gasoline, if using a town-owned vehicle.
(4) The town credit card shall not be used for alcoholic beverages, room service, non-town business telephone calls, in-room movies, cash advances, or any personal expenses.
(5) Accounts payable vouchers (claims) filed in connection with the use of the credit card shall be submitted to the Clerk-Treasurer for processing within two business days of the official or employee's return from their travel. All credit card usage shall be properly itemized and documented as provided in I.C. 5-11-10 et seq. The charge card will be paid in full every billing cycle. Improperly itemized and documented items as well as interest, carrying charges or penalties caused by improperly submitting items shall be the responsibility of the individual user who causes the expense to the town.
(6) Payment for any personal or disallowed charges shall be the responsibility of the official or employee making the charge. An official or employee who abuses the credit card will be restricted from future credit card use and subject to disciplinary action where appropriate.
(7) Before being issued the credit card, all individuals, officials, department heads, and or employees who are expected to use said card, must sign a form provided by the Clerk-Treasurer's Office that indicates the individual has read and understands the policy regarding permitted uses of the town credit card. This form shall also set forth an explanation of the proposed use of the card and the approximate dates it will be used and returned to the possession of the Clerk-Treasurer's Office.
(B) Town credit card for public purchases of supplies, materials, and small equipment.
(1) The policy of the Town of Winamac is to use claim forms for transactions by each department. However, the Clerk-Treasurer shall also make available the town credit card for commercial charging in instances where a unique or special circumstance requires the use of said card. Purchases must have approval of the Town Manager and Clerk-Treasurer not to exceed said $3,000. The credit card may only be used for public purchases of supplies, materials, and small equipment.
(2) Charge card receipts shall be properly itemized and documented with a summary of items purchased with said credit card. The charge card will be paid in full every billing cycle. Improperly itemized and documented items, as well as interest, carrying charges, or penalties caused by improperly submitting items shall be the responsibility of the individual user who causes the expense to the town.
(3) Any department head who abuses the charge card will be restricted from future credit card use and subject to disciplinary action where appropriate.
(Ord. 12 of 2015, passed 10-12-2015)