Skip to code content (skip section selection)
For the purpose of this subchapter, the following definitions shall apply unless the context clearly indicates or requires a different meaning.
(1) Any person, partnership, corporation or other business entity engaged in the business of constructing, altering or repairing buildings or other structures or lots and all trades and crafts associated with the work, including, but not restricted to, general building contractors, excavating contractors, carpentry contractors, heating, air conditioning, ventilating, mechanical, electrical and plumbing contractors and subcontractors.
(2) Any person whose construction, repair or alteration of any building or structure within the county, for which a building permit is required, is presumed to be a contractor and must be registered hereunder unless the presumption is rebutted.
(3) A homeowner, his or her family member or an unpaid friend engaged in constructing, altering or repairing his or her personal residence or lot shall not be considered a contractor for the purposes of this subchapter.
FAMILY MEMBER. A brother, sister, mother, father, aunt, uncle, step-brother, step-sister, step- mother, step-father, half-brother, half-sister, father-in- law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law and sister-in-law.
(1) A contractor who use one or more trades people or subcontractors to perform the required construction to complete any project for which a building permit is required. When a general contractor employs a full-time trades person or trades people who perform a variety of miscellaneous tasks, i.e., carpentry, siding, excavating, concrete or drywall and the like, the registration fee shall be $250. A list of tasks and tradesmen performing them will be required from the general contractor at the time of registration.
(2) A general contractor/construction manager, not employing full-time trades people and using subcontractors to complete construction, shall pay a fee of $150 and all subcontractors working on the project shall be required to register and pay the subcontractors fee of $75.
SUBCONTRACTORS. A contractor who performs only that type of work that is classified as a trade including but not limited to:
(11) Siding/drive siding;
(12) Irrigation (sprinkler system);
(13) Swimming pool;
(15) Damp proofing; and
(16) Elevator installers.
(1980 Code, § 117.21) (Res. 93-94, passed 4-15-1993; Res. 96-250, passed 11-21-1996)