Skip to code content (skip section selection)
(A) Features to be screened. The following features must be screened from view of public rights-of-way, public open spaces and from lots used or zoned for residential purposes.
(1) Ground-mounted mechanical equipment. Ground-mounted mechanical equipment over 30 inches in height may not be located within 15 feet of the property line of a lot used or zoned for residential purposes. Ground-mounted mechanical equipment, including non-exempt utility installations, more than 30 inches in height and located within 25 feet of a street or a lot used or zoned for residential purposes must be screened from view by a solid fence, solid wall, dense hedge, or combination of such features. The hedge, fence or wall must be tall enough to screen the equipment.
(2) Roof-mounted mechanical equipment. Roof-mounted mechanical equipment (e.g., air conditioning, heating, cooling, ventilation, exhaust and similar equipment, but not solar panels, wind energy or similar renewable energy devices) over 30 inches in height and located within 50 feet of a lot used or zoned for residential purposes must be screened from the lot used or zoned for residential purposes in one of the following ways:
(a) A parapet along façades facing the lot used or zoned for residential purposes that is as tall as the tallest part of the equipment;
(b) A solid screen around the equipment that is as tall as the tallest part of the equipment, with the screen an integral part of the building's architectural design; or
(c) An equipment setback from roof edges facing lots used or zoned for residential purposes that is at least three feet in depth for each one foot of equipment height.
(3) Refuse/recycling containers. Refuse/ recycling containers must be screened from view of streets and all abutting lots with a solid wall or fence at least six feet in height. Refuse/recycling containers may not be located in street setbacks. These location and screening requirements do not apply to containers used on a temporary basis.
(4) Outdoor storage areas. All outdoor storage of materials, supplies, merchandise, vehicles, equipment, or other similar materials not on display for direct sale, rental or lease to the ultimate consumer or user must be screened by a fence, wall, dense hedge, or combination of such features.
(B) Outdoor storage shall be screened from view of public rights-of-way, public open spaces and all adjoining lots regardless of use or zoning as per § 155-14.100(B)(3).
(1) All plant material used for screening must be at least three feet in height at time of planting.
(2) Screens may be broken only as necessary to accommodate gates, approved access drives and walkways.
(D) Materials, design and maintenance. Required landscaping and screening elements are subject to the regulations of § 155-12.90.
(Ord. effective 10-1-2012; Ord. 18-1, passed 1-18-2018)